Post Op - Fourth Toe PIPJ Fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I underwent surgery on both feet, on my fourth toes, to have them straightened (with the use of K-wires)

Currently I am on Day 4 of recovery, resting as much as I can with elevation, but also being mobile when needed (eating, going to toilet)

I am having weird sensations, best described as tingling and a bit of throbbing, also a bit nervous to see how my toes will look once dressings are off and the sutures are removed.

Has anyone had this type of surgery or similar?

Looking for any tips and experiences (good & bad) that I can just be aware of.

Many Thanks,

Kayleigh

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the second and third toe of my left foot straightened a year ago, with the use of k-wires. This was an add-on to a more serious surgery on that foot.

I have no trouble with the mid-foot bone fusion--but the toes! They feel strange--very tight and stiff. There is pain when i walk, at the base of the toes. The second toe drags and i catch it on rugs in the house when barefoot, and in shoes, that toe rubs in the shoe and the underside of the tip slits open and bleeds.

No doubt, my experience is unusual. Many have this surgery done successfully; I just wish to have the toes feel like my own toes again.

One thing that is helping is a silicone toe separator. It relieves the tightness and helps with the pain for a while. I haven't had this toe separator long and I'm hoping it will help as i wear it more often.

i would never have this type of surgery again. But I hope your experience is nothing like mine and i wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for leaving a reply, and I'm sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been the best.

The reason I got my fourth toes straightened was because I had a long term problem with sores and blisters (as well as being born with an ankle deformity, which is another story!) so I am hoping this surgery will somewhat improve this.

I was just wondering if you had like a long metal nail (type thing) coming out of your toes when you had the dressings on and was in recovery? I'm a bit nervous for when this will need to be removed.

• Posted

Yes! I had those crazy pins sticking out of my toes, too. They seemed impossibly long.

It took some effort for the tech to haul them out and I really didn't feel anything until the ends came out the tips. It stung like a wasp sting--but it didn't last long at all.

It took a long time for the holes in my toes to heal, but i get very dry skin on my toes (psoriasis) and thats probably why. And it's possibly part of the reason I am still having trouble with the toe splitting.

I really think the silicone toe separator is helping. And a physiotherapist gave me exercises with a little ball i roll back and forth on the bottom of my foot and another with a hacky-sack i grip with my toes. Both help some when my toes are super tight.

Best of luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply again 😃

I am starting to feel more relaxed about when the sutures will need to come out, in all honesty I am looking forward to it when they do!

and I will definitely be looking in to the silicone toe separators if I have any issues going on, so thank you for the suggestion 😃

Sending best wishes to you also

• Posted

hi

the sensation is just the nerves its very normal nothing to worry about . i had pins in 3 toes and got them removed a month ago did not hurt one bit i got myself worked up for nothing . only thing now with me is toes are elevated off ground which make me think it hasnt worked and has to be done again freaking out x

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply that has put my mind at ease about the weird sensations.

I think I have read elsewhere about the toes becoming a bit elevated.

Cosmetically does it affect you? or is it hard to notice when looking down on the feet?

Hoping that you wouldn't have to go through the procedure once again, I don't think that I would want to!

kind regards,

kayleigh

• Posted

i have to get it done again on left foot dreading it so thoughts of having to do it 3 times scares me as long as it doesnt restrict me or stop me from getting shoes on i wont be too bothered

.see my consultant in a few weeks so he will tell me

• Posted

Bless you, hoping the consultant appointment goes all okay for you

Best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.