Post Op Fracture Blistering after Right Total Knee Arthoplasty

Posted , 16 users are following.

My surgeon didn't come to see me until 36 hours after performing surgery on me.  As such, the floor nurses left me in the leg immobilizer used to transfer the patient from the OR bed to the post op bed, and then finally the bed in your room.  They wouldn't remove it until my surgeon arrived to look at me knee.  After approximately 6 hours I began to feel a pinching and burning feeling that was so intense that I repeatedly called in the nurse and begged for her to loosen the apparatus or take it off completely!  She would not, saying it was for the Dr. to do; and that he would soon be there.  This went on for 30 more hours, and my being in the worse pain I've EVER been in.  When the Dr. arrived (9:30pm, on day 2 post op), he immediately asked "Why are you still in the leg immobilizer", I answered with a curt 'ya, why am I?"  Yes, I was UPSET to say the least.  In short, these "friction blisters" as he called them, were a result of being left in the leg immobilizer for too long, and my leg swelling, doing PT in it, etc...  He was visibly upset with nursing staff.  But, where was he for 30 plus hours - not checking on me that's for sure!  The blisters were big, thick, painful, and full of puss and blood.  They were very close to my incision, and as a result, ended up giving me an infection.  My physical therapy was delayed in how much I could do, thus putting me behind in my bend and straightening, and thus heading me towards needed further potential surgeries.  I also could have lost my prosthesis or leg from infection if my PCP hadn't addressed what he wouldn't do in a timely manner.  He has also didn't prescribe anything for the burns, or even how I should be caring for them at home.  What a mess!  And the pain!  Oh my!  I was already in pain from the surgery, so the burns were only adding to it, as they popped and drained, and refilled, and popped and drained over and over!

I'm adding photo's so you can get an idea of what they looked like.  Has anyone else had this post-op problem, and if so, how was it treated.  I also need to know what kind of pain medications have been used by those having TKA in the hospital, and what they were sent home with.  Please help!  I'm a mess!  

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I saw the photos after I responded. It was good that you took them. The doctor needs to see them again and again. I feel your pain. Praying for your quick recovery
  • Posted

You poor thing! Deborah my surgeon took me out of the immobilizer as soon as I got to my room. You had a very incompetent Dr. who caused these blisters to occur. Good thing you took pictures, & I think you have a law suit on your hands. Hope the infection clears up for you. Can’t believe your Dr. didn’t check on you in a more timely manner. Don’t let him get away with it! Give him a piece of your mind! Hope you heal fast with no complications.

• Posted

Hi Dolores,

Yes, that was my main complaint!  What surgeon dosen't check on his patients for 36 hours post surgery, especially on such a major surgery?  If he had, he would have caught that I had been in the immobilizer for such a long time....  (ugh!)  I appreciate your kind word!

Kindest regards!

• Posted

How could your doctor not come for 36 hours and the nursing staff not know what to do. They put you through undo issues. Are they giving you antibiotics for the infection?

i how that you are healing better and getting the proper care now. Good Luck and prayers for your recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I kept asking the nursing staff to remove it, and they kept saying that they couldn't, that my Dr,. would soon be coming.... but he didn't... at least not for 36 hours!  I believe there should be some kind of protocol for nursing staff that if a Dr doesn't do as they should, then they have a right to make adjustments.  I mean they have now put both hospital and Dr. at risk of medical negligence.  Right?

Thanks so much for your prayers, I need them!

• Posted

Your doctor needs to take full responsibility for not coming in early the morning following your surgery or at least send his PA if their were circumstances where he couldn’t be there and the nurses can call the doctor or get the doctor on duty. My daughter is a nurse and she would call the doctor for anything such as this. This is hint sight but could you or a family member removed it? I didnt have one so I don’t know how complicated it was. I was up the very day using the restroom and next day going to PT. Didn’t PT come to get you? Sounds like the hospital needs to have protocols as well. I know a lawsuit isn’t anything you want to do but it seems necessary. I know the difficulty in this surgery without what you have been through. 

I really feel feel for you and pray for your complete recovery.

Take care and we are near to listen and help you.

• Posted

I was informed by our health care complaints department here in Sydney that they had 180 cases of complaints about aftercare in hospitals. They said "some people fall through the cracks". I had no-one but me standing up for me. All of us need a companion caring for us in hospitals. Staff don't seem to have time to ensure each patient's care is progressing as it should. Take action if you must and be prepared for a wall of silence. They all look after themselves! Good luck!

• Posted

Dear Lyn,

Yes Lyn, I believe you are correct!  I too was alone, and my boyfriend was busy with his work.  But he took off a month of work once he saw what was going on with staff.  He (My surgeon) made so many mistakes!  He didn't put in for prior authorization for my home heath aid, for my physical therapy, etc.... Basically, my boyfriend became my nurse and we did this together.  If I had not been persistant in my care, I would have easily lost my knee or at the best the prosthetic.  What a mess!  I have contacted an attorney... we shall see where it goes from here.  

I appreciate your well wishes Lyn!

• Posted

Your tenacity will benefit you. Keep strong and healthy in mind and body. xx
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this!

How many days post op are you now?

Hope it gets better very soon!

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

My surgery was done on Dec. 8th, 2017, so I'm about 3 months out.  I'm definately behind where I should be due to the complications of the burns and infection. However, I am grateful that my family Dr. was willing to help me when my surgeon wasen't answering my phone calls expressing my worries of infection and care of the burns.  If not, this could be an entirely different story AND outcome!

• Posted

Deborah,

All i can say is that I was also neglected after TKR.  care facility gave me ice 3 times during my 3 week stay.  Didn’t even see my Dr. til  three months later.  It really messed with rehab and healing.  I also fell on both knees, and he discharged me after only 6 months  knowing I had retraumatized knee.  It’s been 18 months since my operation, and other knee is killing me too.  What fun. 

I hate to to keep rewinding the tape, but it was and is the worst experience I have ever had after an operation.  

BTW, I take Percocet for pain which was prescribed by Pain MGMT Doctor.  

• Posted

Dear Judy,

First, my heart goes out to you... truly it does.  Yours sounds like a real mess too!  May I ask where you live?  I've noticed that many of the people who have reached out to me are from the UK.  I have noted that the medications are somewhat different, and some of the protocols, as well.  This is interesting to me.  May I ask how many Percocets your Dr. gives you (for example how many per hour, etc...), and for how long you've received them.  I'm really confused as to why they would allow someone to be in such pain that their blood pressure would be compromised, and not handle it.  I know there are issues with addiction; but they can't put everyone in the same circle and expect to not treat them one on one.  But it seems they are now.  Sigh.... frustrated!  I truly hope things begin to get better for you soon Judy.  May I ask if you plan to seek legal assistance about your incident?

Kindest Regards ~

• Posted

Hi Deborah

I am 7 weeks post right TKR and had a terrible time also with fracture blisters which kept popping then oozing, then forming into blisters again.  I had to return to the hospital several times for dressings and for my consultant to take a look at how they were doing.  I work for an orthopaedic surgeon and he told me that some people just do get these type of blisters.  I had my other knee done 2 years ago and only got one small blister, while this time I had really large ones.  I was told to try and keep them uncovered as much as possible once the oozing had stopped, and eventually after about 2 weeks they began to dry up.  I am in UK and have been managing on Paracetamol and Naproxen during the day and two Tramadol at night to try and help with the night pain which is the worst time for me.  Hope your blisters soon heal up.

• Posted

Hi Deborah just read your post. All I can think to say is how awful for you! I hope you are in less pain now & that your medics have sorted this for you!

How can the nursing staff not have known to remove the immobiliser? Where was your surgeon?! Talk about left hand not knowing what the right's doing??

I cannot understand all the being lifted from bed to bed?? Here in the UK we are moved into our bed in theatre, so this then goes into Recovery & then onto the ward! One lift from operating table to bed with a full compliment of theatre staff to hand!! (Apart from the big cheese, who's already left the room, naturally!)

Hope you're feeling a bit better now my dear. Good luck with your ongoing recovery.

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.