Post op gallbladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had gallbladder surgery 3 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks I felt fine now this last week I get abdominal stomach cramps. I follow a low fat diet. I'm afraid to eat because it doesn't seem to matter what I ingest within 2 hrs I'm cramping up.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Once you have your gallbladder removed, as I understand it, your liver still produces bile, but it's on demand now.  Rather than coming immediately from your storage tank, the gallbladder.  So your digestion isn't as efficient as when you had a functioning gallbladder.  You may want to take some bile salts with your meal.  One bile salt before each meal will give you some bile with your meals.  It should allow you to eat fats again.  Good luck.

• Posted

I do take a product called ox bile and another digestive aid before meals. I haven't really tried fats however if I eat eggs,meat,toast, fruit or anything I get cramps. I feel like I need a bathroom close.

• Posted

Hi Vicki, I am 3 months out and I want to say.... it gets so much better!

Your body does learn to adjust.

At the beginning I pretty much lived on carbs. Veggies only made me go to the bathroom more. But, some people will bloat and cramp from the carbs. (wheat)

I found I could handle the wheat and the dairy. At 3 months, I have even now had a bit of ice cream with no problems. Watch out for artificial sweeteners. That is a major cramper. 

I found weeks 4 and 5 my hardest. I did start taking some Pepto to ease my tummy, just a bit. Also I started and am still using. Chew-able simethicone tablets. This breaks down the gas both in your tummy and intestines. I found a bottle at CVS for about $9 and chew 2 after each meal.

Eating salad was the worse for me but even that is gone now.

Hang in there, it gets better.

~kimi~

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Thanks Kimi, is a major problem as my job is driving a school bus. I can't find bathrooms nearby so I don't eat before I drive, by the end I'm starved. So what is it that you do eat. Carbs do cramp me up and I'm looking for some good ideas that might help.

• Posted

Vicki, I will be honest with you. I ate cranberry muffins for at least a week the first week after. I was going to the bathroom at least 12-15 times a day.

Then I moved on to lean cusines. They may not taste the best but I could find them with only 4-7 grams of fat. I still eat that a bit.

I had nothing that had fat in it. No meat, no eggs. I still haven't eaten eggs but did have a steak last weekend with only minor after effect.

As soon as I ate it went right through me. I can't imagine if I would have had to be at work. If I knew I was leaving the house, I didn't eat.

It is soooo much better now. Give yourself time. I asked my doctor about bile salts and all the other things. She thought that was nonsense. She said, just give your body time to adjust. Yes, for the rest of my life, I will have to watch my sugar and fat intake. But, it is a small price to pay for the pain being gone.

It does get better!!

~kimi~

• Posted

Thank you for that info. I do love cranberry muffins however I think my go to for breakfast is going to be pancakes today. Maybe the muffins for tomorrow and into the week. It is making me very hungary just thinking about all these yummy's. I have been eating low or no carbs pre gallbladder issues since February so this will be a welcome treat to try. I certainly appreciate all of your advice Kimi.

Thank you Vicki

• Posted

You may have bile acid malabsorption which is a complication of gallbladder removal.  A SECHAT scan would show it up.  If it comes back positive, there is a special treatment in powder form which helps with your bile salts.
    • Posted

Can you have bile acid malabsorption if you still have your gall-bladder?  I have been having bile restriction for about 6 months now, along with pressure in my right rib cage.  In the last month, I have chronic diarrhea and acid reflux.  I'm taking artichoke to help my bile flow and have had numerous tests (CT, bilary ultra sound, abdominal ultrasound, blood work.  The only thing that shows up is a bit of heightened liver enzymes.

• Posted

Thank you for that bit of info. If things don't get better soon I will be phoning my doctor.

• Posted

Causes of bile acid malabsorption

Type 1: Bile acid malabsorption, secondary to ileal resection, or ileal inflammation (e.g. in Crohn's disease)

Type 2: Idiopathic bile acid malabsorption, Primary bile acid diarrhoea

Type 3: Secondary to various gastrointestinal diseases including cholecystectomy, vagotomy, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, radiation enteropathy, celiac disease, chronic pancreatitis, etc.

Sometimes BAM can be misdiagnosed as IBS D.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.