Post-op Hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

2 weeks post-op from total hysterectomy. Have had minimal to no bleeding but having some sort of discharge! Very unpleasant smell, also while finally having a tub bath, I felt the stitching inside the vagina. Will these stitches dissolve or will they have to be removed?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Your stitches should be disolvable but I did feel some pulling around 2 weeks post op and had a heavy bleed one afternoon after twisting down to pull out a plug behind the sofa!  The discharge sounds ominous - could be an infection.  I would get to see your GP asap or ring the hospital for advice.

Hope it clears up OK

Shani

• Posted

My doctor told me no tub baths for six weeks.  Tub baths are filled with bacteria that can cause an infection.  Lots of women who are prone to infections don't take baths at all.   You have a wound in your vagina.  My doctor did not touch me internally at all, so you probably should not be touching yourself, either.

Please call your doctor, you could have something serious going on!  Let us know how you do!

• Posted

I agree with Lynda I was also told not to have a bath until 6 weeks, though I had one at 4 weeks and put a load of salt in, then I didn't have it until I spoke to my consultant, where the discharge is concerned you need to see your GP as you may have an infection.

• Posted

Thanks ladies for the input! I spoke with my dr and I was told everything I was experiencing is normal. And no more baths for me for a few weeks!
  • Posted

Hi Cat55, in the UK, or at least in Yorkshire, they stitch you up with some kind of organic material that absolutelty stinks as it dissolves.  No one tells you this and you worry you have some kind of infection.  But with you specifying a discharge it would be best to have a word with your hospital ward,  My stiches eventualy dissolved but it took some time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.