Post op ovarian cyst scans

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, I havn,t been around for a while on here it,s been such a busy year. Last November I had large ovarian cyst removed over 20cms and over 3 litres fluid - horrible. Had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago and this was my remaining ovary. I have to admit my recovery was slow and probably because I havn,t rested enough in the beginning, I am now in surgical menopause, HRT is not for me . I had a post op check which was a trans vaginal plus ultrasound, that was fine with no masses or free fluid in the abdomen and I am so lucky that I have a brilliant team at the hospital with a fantastic Consultant who has been very caring and thorough, in fact he treated me years ago with my second baby who was a transverse lie, so I am extremley lucky to still be on his books so to speak. My cyst was borderline and the results were sent to the cancer centre to be studied further ( this was over a year ago ) they then wrote to me telling me that no further treatment was needed as it was good news and was all contained and removed. I had  CT scan two months post op plus tumor marker blood tests which were all clear, my Consultant in fact rang me personally and told me not to worry and there was no cancer, there never was cancer and to stop worrying and enjoy my life and that they would keep an eye on things for a while before discharging me completley. Now I am in complete panic mode once again as today I have had another appointment for another scan ( transvaginal and ultrasound ) in two weeks time, this is 6 months after the last one, my imagination is running wild and I am panicking like mad, I have panic attacks and anxiety and am not feeling great at the moment as my father died recently and am on edge all the time. Can anyone reassure me that this is normal procedure after major surgery even after a year, or is my Consultant just being cautious, but if he is then why is he ? this is driving me mad with worry and it,s Christmas and I can,t concentrate on anything else now I have this hanging over me, don,t know what to do and keep crying all the time - what if this, what if that, please someone help xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Telephone the hospital, too late today I know but on 27th you should be able to phone and ask why you have been sent appointment. It is probably routine and been sent out automatically, they do not realise how scary it is not to have proper information given. Hope all goes well.
    • Posted

Thank you yes I will do that - hubby says same as you and not to panic, I find it hard not to though, I feel ok apart from anxious and not sleeping, will definatley not sleep tonight now worrying myself stupid about everything, thanks anyway.
  • Posted

I don't know your age, but they have started to do routine health checks for people over a certain age. So it could even be part of one of those. Don't panic, you'll be fine x
  • Posted

Hi Lou reading this is just the same as me i could wrote this.I had a CT scan after having a boaderline cyst removed and everything was fine then i got sent for a ultra sound on my liver and pelvis and that was fine as well thank god.But we have to be checked every 3 mths then it goes to 6mths for 5 yrs .
    • Posted

Hi julie, thanks very much for reply. Would you mind telling me how long ago this happened to you - I am just finding it all hard to deal with and am convincing myself of all sorts. Nobody has fully explained the reasons why all the checks are needed maybe not to panic me I don,t know. Always worrying and driving myself crazy, I am 52 and should be grown up about it all - wish I could jump forward a few years knowing all will be ok but then don,t want to wish my life away, uugghh things are hard at the moment, so sorry to bother you x
  • Posted

Hi

sounds like you are lucky to be under the care of a very good consultant who is just doing what they all should and checking all ok post op. If there were more consultants like him there woul not be so many woman who have post op problems slip through the net. Try not to,worry, you obviously under a good team who follow procedure to the letter xx

• Posted

Hi june, thank you for that, yes I know you are right I am very lucky indeed - my Consultant will be retiring soon and I know he will be very sadly missed in fact at my last post op check the radiologist advised me that if I wanted to run away with him I would have to join a very long queue, he is much respected and loved by all his staff which really speaks volumes doesn,t it. I must learn to relax more and think myself very privaliged , I have been told on more than one occasion that I,m not happy unless I,m worrying, but then again we can,t help who we are can we, hope you are ok and I really do appreciate the support, thank you xx
    • Posted

Easier said than done

Not worrying lol. Not what it is

Like, not been right since my op. He sounds a lovely man. You take care xx

• Posted

I had my hysterectomy the 12 th September and now i have a overactive thyroid xxx
    • Posted

Hi julie - quite early days for you yet, I hope you are feeling much better, how is your recovery ? it takes a while and you really do have to take it easy for quite a long time, I know that as I went back to work far too early, case of having to, hope you are managing to get lots of rest and being looked after. I am the oposite to you and have and underactive thyroid over 20 to be precise, I was taking 150mcg Thyroxine previous to op and then afterwards along with all the other menopause symptoms a blood test proved thyroid all over the place and it,s now reduced to 125mcg ( for now ) and am not so weirdly spaced out and wobbly - just the menopause to deal with - uugghh always something ! hope you ok xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.