Post op pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had gallbladder removed last Wednesday all ok I guess eating and going toilet etc, however, my back and right side are in worse pain that before. I can't sit straight .. Chest feels very heavy ... Burning sensation around abdomen. Is this normal? I am taking ibuprofen and paracetamol but it not touching the aching pain area... How long recovery until this passes ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria, its horrid isn't it when you don't know whether what you're feeling is normal or not. I was the same as you and I phoned my gastro dept to speak to a nurse who said mine was fine but I would say if you're worried then go and see your doctor they may prescribe some stronger meds. Please remember to take it easy and rest, I don't think I got off the settee for about 2 weeks. It takes alot longer to heal on the inside than outside but you should be getting better each day and if you aren't then for your own piece of mind go and see a doctor to check things out just to make sure.

It was week 3 before I started to move around a bit more and started to drive so don't rush getting back to normal, it takes times.

Let me know how you get on. Take care x

• Posted

I think that is my problem it only a week and my husband tries to make me stay in bed but then I'm putting the washing out and stuff I shouldn't be should I common sense tells me that. I will give it to the weekend with doing from now absolutely nothing and see if there is improvement.. I feel fine considering ... It is just the ache in back and right side .. I will let yoh know how it goes thank you

• Posted

I didn't stay in bed at all but pottered around the house and generally rested on the settee. Mind you it was March so the weather wasn't nice to sit out in, I would've found it much harder at this time of year as I can't sit still as I'm generally a busy person but you do need to be careful.

Don't forget if you don't feel right go and see your doctor. 

• Posted

Definitely no hanging out washing! Wet clothes can be really heavy. However definitely not bed rest as you need to move about or you risk DVT. You need to keep moving - gentle walking will help disperse the CO2 and reduce that pain.

If it continues, see your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

You should contact the ward you were on for advice, I don't like the sound of the chest heaviness, or ring 111, take care and hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.