POST OP PAIN

Posted , 6 users are following.

I guess I was being a tad unrealistic with my expectations. As dumb as this seems I thought that maybe for whatever the reason maybe this time it would not hurt as bad. Well I can assure everyone the more times you get a revision the more it hurts and yes my L knee is screaming but its not like I was not expecting it either just hoping that maybe not as bad. Since I have had lots of PO bleeding ( the dressing from the hospital was supposed to last 10days was saturated Thursday night ( it was in a word gross!!! ) with really dark almost black blood and it was changed Thursday night and twice yesterday ) I was told to limit activity to just the basics glad I have my kids to help out!! Another plus do not have to start PT till Monday and yes it kind of puts me behind but I do not want anymore blood oozing all over the place either. When the Therapist came by she was amazed since everything she was about to tell me I already knew. I showed her how I walk with my crutches she wanted to see how I get on my bed ( I have been doing this for so long its habit ) I put my R foot under my L foot and use the R leg to help in lifting my L leg on the bed. I will be doing therapy the 1st week 3X and from then on 2X a week. The rest of the week I will using Chico menu for exercises. I never wrote them down I just did them from memory. Its is going to be a long road to recovery in my case it may take a year or longer due to the amount of surgeries I have had. Yes I am fully aware of how miserable it will be but its no different then the past 5 with the one exception the pain level is higher.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck in your recovery. Do hope PT helps and you get better soon.
  • Posted

Good luck this forum will get you through the worst times and make the better times good chin up

• Posted

It sounds really tough but your attitude is strong. May I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Sorry to inform you I may seem tough having been thru so much but I can only handle so much. The recovery process is not anything new what has really gotten to me is the one thing I was afraid of the most " Infection " has reared its ugly head again. When they put the PICC line in Thursday around noon is when things really started getting to me. I have already shed my share of tears. Since I have had an infection prior they want to treat this one as aggressively as they can but even so ( both the surgeon as well as one of his assistants told me there are no guarantees that I will not have any more problems. In fact its very possible that within 6 months this could become a full blown infection which means back in the hospital the implant comes out and a spacer goes in another round of 6 weeks with the PICC line or I might get lucky and they might have me take an oral antibiotic for the rest of my life. Yes one stinks worse then the other and it might be I am being to pessimistic concerning this but come one who would have thought after a torn meniscus I would wind up with 18 total surgeries on the same knee 6 of which have been replacements. Odds are not really in my favor.

• Posted

I was wondering how you were doing after the new surgery.  Did they say why you are bleeding so much?  Terrible to hear that the pain is WORSE than you expected....with all your surgeries I would of thought you had experiences the worse and were ready for whatever came along.  

Stay strong.  We are cheering for you!

• Posted

The reason for the majority of the blood was from the surgery itself instead of bright red this was almost black what caused the mess leaving the hospital and sitting in my car with the knee bent which more then likely opened up parts of the incision and all the blood drained out. The last 2X's the dressing was changed it was bright red but the at home heath care nurse felt it was from too much activity. So far since she changed it yesterday I have had no more problems. As far as pain goes a sad fact the more surgeries you have in my case knee revisions all on the same knee first off each one hurts a little more and each one takes longer to heal. I am so done with all of this who in their right mind would be proud that they have had 18 surgeries all on the same knee?? I was really hoping that I would not have to deal with an infection again strong tough been there done that is does not matter I can only handle so much this infection has really gotten to me. It makes me feel like a wimp. I just feel helpless and there is not a damn thing I can do about it.

• Posted

Worst Op I've ever had, I think Consultants must be laughing their socks off when we put our names down for TKR.

Now 17 weeks in and everyday is hard but we get through it, so keep going even if it's only slowly at first.

Be thinking of you each day when I'm doing exercises.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

I must be a glutton for punishment since this was # 6 for me. Whether its the first or the last revision they are all very painful. I am 6 days PO my whole leg is swollen and as far as pain YUP!!! If before the revision my knee was not getting worse or there was a chance it would get better on its own I probably would have dealt with it but that was not the case. I really hope this time I have no more problems enough is enough.
  • Posted

Can anyone guess how my knee feels?? Monday will be one week PO and so far the only difference pain wise is instead of being at the hospital being miserable I am at home feeling the same way. I am well aware it is going to take lots of time before I feel even slightly better. If memory serves me correctly after I am done with in-home PT there should be some improvement not a huge amount but enough that you can tell the worst is over. I am also very much aware it is also going to take a lot of work on my part to get my leg back in shape. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.