Post op pain - acupuncture?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I’m 29, 1 year post op from a l5/s1 spinal fusion with a l5 lamindectomy. (I had a pars fx with Isthmic spondylolisthesis. Also had periodic numbness in my right leg.) 

Prior I was very active. Now I’m still having trouble with pain. I am working on my core strength but am finding it difficult to engage those muscles and have not noticed much change. I also have been running and biking. 

I’m wondering if people have tried acupuncture and if you’ve had an success? 

My pain doesn’t seem to be sciatica related. As some of you may be able to relate, the pain feels like it’s in the area where the hardware is. It’s like a painful stiffness. Any tips please share! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I am amazed that you are able to run! These are the things that most of us cannot do because of jarring of the spine there is no discs for shock absorbency in and it goes straight up the spine like a nerve stimulator. Any motion of the pelvic joint which is connected to the SI joint,  due to the fusion, aggravates the situation. Including walking.   My daughter also had a fusion at age 36 and still have some discomfort she does yoga for stretching and flexibility. It seems to help her. Her work out is modified. 

Is it possible for the joint hardware stiffness pain which is what I feel also, could be scar tissue related? Massages do help with that. Not sure about acupuncture let us know if anyone else has tried it

• Posted

Biking is relatively good as long as it is in moderation - half hour sessions of any sitting was the advice I was given. Impact sports, like running, are likely to agitate the spine & cause you pain and, if you want to avoid ruining your surgeon's handiwork, probably best avoided for 18 months or so. Aqua Gym, Yoga & Pilates are all excellent for toning, building core strength and increasing flexibility but go with the flow and listen to your body. My favourite exercise pre-op was horse riding but it was almost two & a half years before I was able to get (comfortably) back in the saddle. You will get there it is just a matter of time and building the supporting muscle and ligament infrastructure which will allow you to resume impact sports once more?

• Posted

Yeah my doctor cleared me to run but at my discression. I will definelty try more massage! I’m trying to stretch but it causes so much pain. It’s an unhappy medium at his point!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.