Post op Peroneal tendon surgery week 5 questions

Posted , 61 users are following.

Hello foot & ankle friends;

I am curious if any of you had also had peroneal tendon surgery; I am currently post op starting 5 weeks and let's say it's been fairly painful and a lot more intense than I was prepared for. The surgery went well, the first 2 weeks I was basically bedrest and in a splint/wrap. Then after 2 weeks the stitches were removed, lets just say I was not mentally or physically prepared for how large the incision was and I almost had a breakdown in the drs office. Ekk! That being said, I was then put into a hard cast for 4 weeks, I have 9 days left of the hard cast and from there I believe I am put into a walking boot for 6 more weeks with PT. 

My question is this; 5 weeks post op is it still normal to have numbess, tingliness and a lot of pain? Also I am still not able to put weight down on the ankle. The dr. confirmed that this is all normal due to the fact that this was a major surgery but I still have worries. My concern is the dr puts me in a walking cast and I really can't walk, what am I going to do? I also have nightmares of PT and how painful it is going to be. 

For a little reference I played college soccer and I am a runner, and I want to do everything possible to get back to where I was before the injury.

Thank you for all the info.

Signed post op concerns Danielle. :-)

1 like, 233 replies

233 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am also 5 weeks post op and both my doctor and physical therapist have stated that the numbness is normal because the nerves are in protective mode.  As swelling goes down it will come back but it will be slowly.   I have the pins and needle feeling usuall after therapy and they say that is a good sign that the receptors are waking up.  I am still non weight bearing in a boot.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your response Brenda, glad to hear that we're going through the same thing. My hard cast comes off this Thursday and I am put into a walking boot and I believe physical therapy begins then. I am a little nervous!

Best of luck with your recovery, this has been brutal! 

• Posted

I got my cast of last week and started PT.  They are just having me do towel crunches, hip stretches and calf stretches as of now.  They are working to get the swelling down before we do much more and the massage really hurts.  The boot is much easier for me but I do wear it most of the day as I am so scared of moving it wrong.  I go back to work on Thursday and am so scared as I work 12 hours and have been use to napping during day.   Kepp me posted how it goes with cast off.  Do you use crutches?  I have a scooter that is a life saver!
    • Posted

Brenda, glad to hear they aren't going to expect me to just start walking when I get into PT, I havent put any weight on the leg and I was worried. 

I went back to work week 3, and man it was painful and very diffiult, I highly suggest finding a way to elevate if you can, at least you got a month or so off before having to go back, that's very helpful. I suggest staying otop of the pain the best you can with meds as needed also. 

I have a knee scooter, and it is totally a life saver at work, I refused to get around on crutches becuase I also live downtown, the city isn't very forgiving. ha 

• Posted

Brenda, 

Got my cast off today, the foot looked like an alien ha! I am however very weak and sore/painful obviously. I was curious, do you sleep with the boot off? Im worried about hurting it while I'm sleeping. I am looking forward to finally washing the leg though. ha! I start PT I believe next week or so. 

• Posted

Yay!!!! I know it feels so weird getting that heavy cast off and I was really nervous at first. I slept in my boot for first few days just because I was scared for same reasons you are. The first couple of times I slept with out it, it was uncomfortable having blankets on it so I slept with one foot out of covers and I put pillow under it and in between my legs to keep it protected. I find that if it's hurting, I put it back on. The only time I had off was in a quick shower and if I was stationary on the couch. If I get up, I put it back on immediately. The only thing about night time is if you have to get up at all, it takes a second to put it back on but if you have it on, you are good to go right away.

PT was scary for me going in but even though it hurts even the basic stuff I do, it is getting stronger.

I am at work and am hurting so much! When I get home it's gonna be ice and elevation for rest of night. 8 hours down, 4 more to go.

• Posted

AHHHH you got this, don't give up. My first week back to work was the worst, mentally and physically, it's very diffuclt. But it gets better, the more your body gets use to being back in a routine, it get's better. 

Are you walking at all on just the boot, or do you use a scooter and crutches also? The dr. said I can start putting weight on it and walking as much as I can, but I just haven't gotten there yet. 

Thanks for all of the advice about sleeping, Im so worried about rolling or hitting it, you know the smallest movements make it hurt. I bet water is going to feel so weird on the foot, I can't wait til tonight. ha!

Hang in there and thanks again for the advice and tips! :-)

• Posted

Dr said I can put minimal weight on it until my next appt in 2 weeks.  I use scooter and no crutches.  It really started hurting about 8-9 hours in and I ended up taking boot off for a few minutes.  I am icing and elevating now and hoping some of the swelling goes down before morning.  My toes look like sausages lol.

I was restless first couple nights for same reason because I felt like I was going to twist it.  You will figure out what makes it hurt pretty quick.  Hope you got some rest and enjoy the shower!  PT definatley has given me some more range of motion.  Keep moving your toes like you are trying to pick up somethimg.  You will do towel crunch in PT.  

• Posted

Here's hoping you survived your first work day, I know you did! :-) How was the evening?? Are you icing directly on the wound? Or with a sock or towel or something? 

I actually slept with no boot on last night, it felt so nice to have nothing on the leg, I was really scared and dont think I slept very good because I was worried but I made it through with no boo boo's. ha. 

I am struggling with this boot, its very big and bulky, goes up to my knee, but the real problem is that down by the ankle its really tight and I have to like slam my foot in to get my heel to touch the ground and it hurts sooooo bad, any tips with putting the boot on?

I am going to look on getting PT scheduled for next week, I did move it around a little last night when I was sitting on the couch with no cast, felt pretty good. 

Thanks for the help, nice to chat with someone going through the same thing. People keep comparing their ACL or other minor surgery to mine and not understanding how intense this recovery is, it's annoying. haaa

• Posted

So glad you made it through your first night out of the cast! My boot comes open all the way down so I can easily put my foot in it and then tighten the straps. It also has an air pocket to fill around the ankle and the first few days I could not even do it because it was too much pressure and it hurt worse.

I ice with a towel or a sock on so as not to burn my skin but at PT they ice directly on to my foot with the tens unit for 10 min and it is painful!

• Posted

Hope things are going better for you at work!!

AHHHH I went to a concert last night, it was my first outting really since surgery, I even sat in the handicap section but my leg was down and not elevated the entire time, came home to my foot the size of a balloon, ugh!!!

That being said, I start PT today after work, I'm so worried, what did you do on your first day? I am not putting weight yet on the ankle and Im worried about standing and the pain. 

• Posted

Hi, just wondering how long did the surgery take?

Kind Regards

Lucy

• Posted

Surgery took 45 min. But plane to be there 4 hours total. Check in. Mine recovery was like 1 hour them head home.
  • Posted

How was therapy?  I still am not doing a whole lot, they added the bike today.  I do towel crunches, hip exercises, calf stretches and wobble board. They massage and try to get the swelling down and ice.  

Sorry about the swelling but hopefully it was a good time.  I am still non weight bearing as well but hoping that it changes on next appointment.  

• Posted

Well, PT was as good as it could be I suppose. The PT guy wasn't prepared for how large my incision was or how (11 cm) the ankle basically wasn't working at all. ha! My range of motion is only 19 degrees, so I have a long way to go. But we worked on slowly sliding it up and down along the carpet, and trying to do side to side. I am def. not allowed to be weight bearing until I can get better range of motion. So hopefully in the next couple weeks, I make more progress. He does not want to touch the ankle until I have more time out of the boot and working on my excercises but he did mention I can start to gently massage the wound and that it needs to be lotioned up pretty good to prevent cracking or issues with healing, ugh! 

But we're both slowly getting there ha! 

Happy Thanksgiving!!

• Posted

I was at 15% the first day and now am at 27 so slowly it works. Everyday you will get stronger! They have me moving my foot more now that I am in the boot. They want me to take it off and move it slowly up and down without causing any pain while I am watching TV.

Did they massage you at all? That has really helped break up the swelling for me. It hurts like crazy but I do see a difference. My incision is finally all the way closed so I can soak it which helps too.

Happy Thanksgivong to you too, I am back to work today, I have 4 12 hour days ahead of me so the ice pack and tub will be my friends lol.

• Posted

Glad to see the progress though, that's motivation! 

I am so struggling with the downtown, I'm a runner and a soccer player and all of this not being able to walk or move is mentally frustrating but I know eventually I will be better. My completely cleared date if all is going as planned is Jan 7th! 

Ughhhh so sorry to hear about your work schedule, that's got to be rough! Def. take meds, ice, elevate and rest when you can! 

He has not started massaging yet, I believe that will come eventually, but he said I can start to gently massage the wound and I need to be using more heat to help with the blood flow. 

I also have to start doing ankle exercises at home 3-5 times a day to help with the range of motion. 

Sending good vibes and luck your way!

• Posted

Checking in! 

How's work going? I've had two sessions of PT now, the second session he finally started to massage and move the leg, man that hurt, but it's feeling somewhat better.

He mentioned I can try and be weight bearing some, just standing, not walking and getting use to it, pretty scared ha!! Are you putting weight on it yet? 

Question: did you notice that the numbness and tingliness got better with time and PT? I'm still pretty numb and it's worrying me.

So ready to be healed, the time and slowness to it all is killing me. ha

• Posted

Work is going good, I am on light duty so I am in a sitting position.  The only bad thing is that the leg hangs down all day so at end of 12 hours, it is pretty swollen and is throbbing.

I finally got the ok to start walking on it as tolerated. I walk around the house but he doesn't want me walking all over the place but to slowly build up the strength.  I am still not cleared to drive.  I was on the standing part for last couple of weeks.

The tingling and numbness is still there but is getting better I have noticed.  I have seen a big difference in the movement with PT, it seems stronger now with every session.

• Posted

Ahhh I hate when my ankle dangles or has to sit on the ground, it starts to hurt so bad, so sorry to hear that!

Glad to hear work is going good though and the PT is helping a lot!

As for the standing, did you stand with the boot on or barefoot? Did you just lean up again something? I'm worried to put my weight on it.

Just with two visits, PT has def. been helping and I have to do exercises 2-4 times a day at home.  

Just out of my curiosity, are you in the states? I'm in Dallas, TX. 

• Posted

I stood in the boot mainly, there were a couple of times I stood at the sink to brush my teeth just to see how it felt.  It still is weak for me and I am super scared of hurting it so having the boot gave me that extra level of comfort of protection. My doctor wants to slowly wean me out of the boot and into just a regular shoe.  The thought of that today scares me so bad but I know as it gets stronger, it will get less scary.  I am still on my scooter to go to work but at work he wants me to walk more and more on it as I can tolerate.  Keep up the exercises!  I see a difference by doing them!  What all do they have you doing at PT?

I made homemade ice packs that are smaller and I can ice my foot at work now too which seems to help.  I just take the boot off and ice for 10-15 min and then the boot is back on.  Usually I do this on my lunch when I know I won't have to get up for anything.

I am in the states as well, I am in Las Vegas.  

• Posted

Ahhh good tips, I am sure I won't be standing on it at all without the boot just yet. ha 

At PT, I have to slide my foot forward and backwards across the floor on this little pad, have to do ankle and toe raises with the foot on the ground(sitting down), spell the alphabet out in the air, ankle circles and heat and massage as of now. Are you doing similar things? 

Glad you have ice packs for the office, I'm always dying for ice and elevation towards the end of the day. I take my boot off here and there also, I feel more in pain with the boot off than just having it sit without it. 

How many weeks are you post op? I had my surgery Oct 7th. 

Yaaaaay for Vegas, great city! 

• Posted

I do towel crunches, wobble board (its like ankle circles but on a board on the floor that has a smaller ball under it so it moves), bike they just added last week, calf stretches with a band on both feet, hip exercises on both legs.  I do the alphabet at home and also try and point and then flex as far as I can.

The ice packs I made are 1C rubbing alcohol to 3 cups of water in a quart ziploc bag.  I have 2 of them so I can put on bottom and top.  They never freeze solid, are like gel and stay cold for a long time.  They are easy to put in my lunch bag and throw in freezer at work.

I am 7 weeks post op, I had mine October 19th so not too far behind you. 

• Posted

Hellooooo brendaaaa, 

It's been awhile, just checking in! I am just over 4 months post op, I am walking without assistance now and in no casts etc. However, I am still experiencing mobility issues, some swelling and even pain still. As for the nerve damage, it's still pretty numb. I def. don't walk completely normal yet, I have a slight limp but I'm getting better every day. If I remember correctly you were a few weeks ahead of me in recovery, I am curious how you are doing? Progress? 

Hope all is well!! :-) 

- Danielle

• Posted

I was just thinking yesterday that I needed to check in here lol. I am officially released to full duty at work as of yesterday. I came out of the boot a month ago into a new brace that was much nicer and made walking easier. I still swell, the numbness is still there and he said it can take up to a year to come back but I have relatively little or no pain now. I still do exercises at home still but Due to my job, now that I am released to full duty, I will get plenty of use on it.

Glad to hear you are getting better too and hopefully the pain goes away soon.

• Posted

Hello there I'm getting this surgery soon. How long is the recovery? How do you feel now months after surgery? Are you 100% percent better or does it still hurt at times.

• Posted

Hello there I'm getting peroneal tendon surgery soon. I hope ur doing better. Just wanted to see how you feel after some months. Would like to see f it improve and what do you feel now

• Posted

Hello I'm getting thus soon. Just wanted to know a update on how do you feel. Now that is almost a year. . Thank you

• Posted

I am 5.5 weeks post op from the surgery plus he did a bone spur excision and a plantar fascitis release. I am still not weight bearing and still quite swollen and painful. When is your surgery?

• Posted

Wow. Hope you get better. Well I went yesterday we just need to schedule it. He's doing peroneal tendon and ankle stabilization dr said. Hope when he's in there he doesn't find anything else wrong.

• Posted

A question, how much it bothers you now? Did you ask doctor of possibility of reinjures after surgery?

• Posted

Not going to lie it's been very painful and I'm not too fond of my surgeon. He kinda seems like he tells me what I want to here rather than laying it out straight. I asked him at 3.5 weeks post op when I can start walking in the boot and he said I could at week 4 just use the crutches for support and let pain be my guide. As I read more about it all these other surgeons say stay non weight bearing for 6 weeks. I've tried it a few times but don't go long. I haven't asked about re injury. We aren't even sure how I did the tendon tear in the first place lol.

• Posted

We I got injured in January. Still hurts after walking prolong times. It's tender. Can't want on uneven ground. I can't put my whole weight on it for a long time it feels week. Doctor said 6 weeks cast. He said minimum 3 months for full recovery.

• Posted

Wow! Symptoms! Mines were exactly the same! I also got injured in January! I done surgery in September, I wish I have given it more time maybe years... I got MRI in March it said "Tearing of CFL is noted and there is tear of ATFL as well." in first line, all other things looks Normal I think... I was SIX WEEKS in hard cast NWB, now doing PT, First doc was telling it will take 3 months for full recovery Now Doc is telling it may take to 6 months... Now I think I would rather continue with those little symptoms, for more time... I was totally happy in Boots outside, and in inside I was having no problem barefoot...

• Posted

Let me guess you will have pain when pulling something, or when suddenly your foot stuck somewhere when want to jump in the car... smile

• Posted

Wow. Well I hope you get better. So you feel worse now than before? Well if I make a sudden move with that ankle it hurts. If I'm in bed an I have a blanket it hurts to lift up the blanket. But I hope I get better with surgery not worse

• Posted

I was having no problem driving, but maybe that’s because I didn’t drive more than 30 minutes... but about fast and harsh movement and blanket exactly I know of what you are talking...

It would be good if having MRI and get ATFL & CFL checked…If I’m back I will give it so much more time... I’m in pain, incomparable with before surgery... When I damaged it in January it was not ok till March, but in next 6 month the pain wasn’t that much at all... I just feel as something is not good and normal... and this feeling still continues after surgery, No change...

The reason I done the surgery was the doc who frightened me of not doing surgery, but now I feel I shouldn’t be frightened & just should have been accepted situation before surgery...

Doc told me I shouldn’t run and do sports before surgery, frightened me just didn’t do any sports and just walked for 9 months, because I was frightened of instability and happening of what that had happened in winter, But when I look back I see that pain was not that much REALLY!

I wish I go back and wear boots for always,,, Now nothing is changed so many docs are telling me that I should be totally careful so no reinjure happen to me... the question here is that so why to go through this much pain, when feelings and situation doesn’t change that much...

Don’t be frightened, of what you hear here & there... Give it more time...

• Posted

Hello hope your doing better. How do you feel know.

Exactly. I scared my self. I hope I get better not worse. Well I have surgery schedule for Dec 15.

• Posted

I’m better from weeks ago;

I compare myself with before surgery...

Before surgery I asked anyone, & every one told me to do the surgery, But I want to tell you give it time, I know you will have it "Dec 15" so I write it here, I do suggest you my friend to not hurry...

Unfortunately Doctors do not talk about dark sides of surgery and after that, I asked my doctor multiple times, and he didn’t told me about the decrease in ROM, he didn’t told me about the HUGE probability of reinjures... He didn’t tell me that even after surgery I should have almost the same self-care that I have had before surgery! He didn’t tell me about the feelings after surgery... They do not talk about dark sides of doing surgery...

Thanks friend for your good wishes...

• Posted

Defenetly I got injured in January 7. So is almost 1 year. I got a second openion dr said I was tender. So there for I'm getting surgery. I understand. That's what I worry alot how am I going to be after surgery. I ask just basic questions. How long in a cast. How long before walking. Just basic. I guess.

But how do you feel after surgery? The same. Worst. Better. What things can and can't do.

Well keep felling better

• Posted

Exactly they just say 6 weeks in cast and 3 months before complete recover, (I remember I said to myself woohoo I can go back to my Gym before Feb. , now I understand how dumb I was!) but I really don’t like this new situation... The main problem is decrease in ROM... It looks likes Doctors easily underestimate this... but this is awful! Whenever you want to get out bed, or change directions you easily feel this strange decrease in ROM... It bothers ... It also makes you so tired when walking long distance also it becomes painful long distance walking (I’m not talking about extraordinary long, I’m talking about ordinary jobs & stuff)...  I also don’t talk about different pains because everyone telling they will gone after one year...

early PT helps for having ROM back after surgery, But it will not heal completely...

Thanks, I’m 30 , I was a sporty, active, really happy and healthy, Now I’m so tired ... I went back to doctor after surgery & told him about the situation, & asked if the ankle would become the same as before, and his answer was "The ankle is better than before"...

• Posted

Defenetly. ROM. Well I have my app next week. It worries me, being worse after surgery. How do u fell going up stairs after surgery? How was it for 6 weeks in cast how did that feel?
    • Posted

When in cast I was totally OK, No pain (pain was just first 24 hours), I actually was too good in cast... Physically and Mentally I was happy.

"Going up stairs after surgery" both in cast and out of cast in too easy, No Problem... I found it easy, maybe because I have powerful hands. Just by low weight crutches. Don’t go for heavy ones...

Also buy something to protect your cast from water.

• Posted

Hello there I would like to know how are you doing from your surgery. How are you feeling.
    • Posted

Honesty I wish I was able to go back to September... I want to go back... My ROM is limited... I have pain when walking, the pain goes up, the more I walk... I see very slow healing, I wish I go back and accept the fact that I have a problem... I was too tired of not doing sport and not going to gym and not running, BUT now I want to go back, and don’t doing those things but not doing the surgery that soon... This feeling started from when the cast was opened (After six weeks)... I feel miserable every morning when I open my eyes...

I wish I go back and wear boots always even in summers but not doing the surgery...

• Posted

Defenetly. That's what I'm scared of myself too how about being worse after surgery I know the pain I go through now at times it's like you said it's a part of me now I'm already used to it I would not like to get the surgery and for me to be worse than what I am now I've been like this since January and surgeries in 2 weeks from now

• Posted

It’s almost the end of week 12, and I’m walking normally, but I hate this pain. Specially the pain on top of the Ankle, Its takes two weeks after opening the cast (6 weeks, Totally 8 weeks after surgery) That I walked normally.

& but of course without Physiotherapy I’m sure I would have problem, But early PT after surgery helped a lot to be able to walk...

• Posted

Ok are you able to drive. Well I'm getting the right ankle surgery next week. But idk I don't want to be worse after surgery. Hope you doing better

• Posted

Hello I am 5.5 weeks post op and am in a walking boot with crutches, I am experiencing a lot of nerve pain, feels like a fluttering or heart beat and then sharp searing pain through my foot. Have you ever experienced that feeling? Had tendon repair in right ankle and have more pain now than I did after surgery. Also side of foot and top of foot still numb and feels weird when touched. Ugh, any advice?
    • Posted

NO. This was one of the first questions after opening the cast, and doctor told me I will be able to drive when I’m able to walk. Now as he is telling I’m walking well, but I don’t think I will be able to drive. I didn’t try yet, but I think I will have range of motion problem, (as it’s my right ankle). Plus, although my foot looks pretty good BUT when I’m in car, after more than 30 minutes of sitting a pain starts. It looks like I have seated for 8 hours! So I don’t think even with a totally good ankle, it would be possible to drive more than 30 minutes! This is crazy!

I see Doctor again this week, He told me everything is Good and “Hooray!” and stuff like that! I was shocked! I told him Doctor I have pains, He was like "it would be ok", "You should make your muscles stronger because they are weak!" and these kinds of stuff... I’m 30 years old and I think this was the worse decision I have made. I was totally good and ok in Different Type of Boots. I wish I sleep and wake up again back before doing the surgery.

• Posted

Ha-ha! (Read it sadly my friend), I feel your situation, you are me weeks ago. I have no advice! Just know that it would be a little better. I’m in week 13 (I think),

The "nerve pain" or "sharp pain through your foot" would not go away, maybe it will become less, and you will be used to that.

The "heart beat" would go away and you would be free of it very soon,

The "side of foot and top of foot still numb and feels weird when touched" would not go. Although it’s not a big deal, don’t think about that, actually it would be so much less after few weeks. It will be better, (completely healed? I don’t know. But sure it would be better just in few weeks)

"More pain now than I did after surgery" that’s the result of doing the surgery too soon, I have seen so many people with torn ligaments, they are doing totally ok, No surgery No physiotherapy! Actually the only difference between them and you is their doctors. I myself see a girl with complete torn ligaments her doctors told her No surgery AND No physiotherapy... and she is now happy! (Not totally fixed but she is doing well)... I think I saved her… I wish someone have saved me also… I cry sometimes when pain goes up, I was a sporty person run and walk a lot. Now I’m sitting most of the time… By the way I think there is no way, & we have used to it. I started to go pool swimming recently, and I am trying to make myself busy with working.

• Posted

This is standard recovery, was one that after still is going on at 12weeks but is much better. Just use alot of ice packing and foot up as I am sure you were told. I was put on Lyrica for nerve impulse but did not completely take it away and still is going on at night but as I said it is much better. The numbness and and no feeling wil get better, infact I just talked with Dr and he said this was normal and until I can get boot off and into shoes with physical therapy this is also standard recovery. So hope this answers your questions and keep in touch, Happy Holidays
    • Posted

Ok Thank You. Everyday I think about it alot. Alot people write that they would like to go back to how they were before surgery. It makes me double think on getting surgery.

• Posted

Wow. We tried it with no surgery from Jan till now. And finally decided to get the surgery. I don't want to be worse after surgery. Idk if it's me but right now with this cold weather 40 degrees. It tends to hurt more. Or idk if it's me. Do you fell that.

• Posted

You describe the sleep wrecking nerve pain exactly! I'm just now 4.5weeks post op. Have you found any relief?

• Posted

I went back for my recheck and the dr put me on some meds he said the nerve endings become very sensitive sometimes and the meds would calm them down. I ended up not taking them and they have sort of calmed down on their own. I think it's just a longer recovery than we all expected when we had the surgery done. Are you in a walking boot?

• Posted

I am 14 weeks out and today I will be back in my shoes, will be interesting, and will start PT, My Knee and hip really started bothering me as the limping has a big effect on your back position. And I still have small twinges of nerve impulses but all your nerve endings end up in your feet so alot of healing to be done.So hang in there, and yes every week I have seen an improvement.
    • Posted

Yeah. I'm in a walking boot . This crazy nerve pain first hit me for about 5 nights over last weekend. It had calmed way down when I saw the dr Friday so I thought it was behind me. He said he played that particular nerve like a banjo during surgery and it could take a couple months to settle.

He said I could slowly start weight bearing now - which I've done very little and very carefully. But I've been up and around and out and about on my crutches much more this weekend than I have in the previous weeks and I suspect perhaps inflammation set the nerves off. Who knows. But it's miserable! particularly at night! oddly (and gratefully) ibuprofen seems to turn it down a little bit.

I have first PT Wednesday. Friday my doctor told me - it's gonna be a long hard road and over the next few months you're gonna hit some really hard spots and wonder if you're making any progress at all. But a year from now you will look back and see the whole thing behind you. ugh. but I appreciate the honesty. 

• Posted

It's so good to hear someone just a bit further down the recovery road say it really does get better!!  ;-) I hope your transition to two shoes goes well!

• Posted

Hi I am about 16 weeks post surgery.  Have been at physio now for about 7 weeks and doing wobble board and exercises with Thera band.  My wound is still a bit sore around it which is worrying me.  also I get occasional twinges from the tendon which makes me very worried that it hasn't been fixed.  I get sore after walking a bit.  Also the surgeon told me that it would be at least 3 more months before I could try jogging - he warned that this goal may not happen.  So I am worried that it will all end up not much better, or perhaps worse than before the operAtion. Chrissy

• Posted

Darn did not get to wear my Jimmy Chews LOL, as my brace that they ordered to go inside my shoe did not come, I have a fixed fusion in my ankle so It will only go up and down do to alot of arthritis. But Dr said my xrays showed everything has healed really well. I teased him telling him they should make a disclaimer on all that we experience. His answer was its like telling a pregnant lady what child birth is like. Had to Laugh!  But I can do with or without the boot as he said it will take an adjustment getting back into my shoes. SEE theres another disclaimer He He
    • Posted

16 weeks and how are you fealing. Are you back 100 percent or you still having trouble.

Im 5 days in as days go by getting use to the pain. I'm just with a phobia ig I'm going to be able to step on un even grounds. And do some regular things. Scared of getting re injure. I see dr next week to remove the splint and get a cast for 1 month.

• Posted

Rtfoot...I had peroneal tendon debridement 4-1/2 weeks ago.  Hard cast for 11 days, then aircast for 4 weeks.  I go back to doc on Dec. 29 to see what's next.  I have had really bad nerve pain since the second week, and have to rake half a Percocet some nights to get to sleep.  The problem area for me is the whole area of the foot that is served by the Sural nerve (that runs alongside the tendon). 

I was prepared for numbness after this surgery, but this is definitely not numbness!  I get burning, prickly, stinging pain and there is one small part along my incision that, when I touch it, I get a mild electric shock through my foot.  I would rather have 'regular' pain than this awful irritating feeling.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have permanent nerve impairment since it hasn't really improved at all, other than some days are a bit worse and some are a bit better.  The sensations always get worse as the evening progresses.

i would love to hear from someone who experienced similar problems that eventually improved!!

• Posted

YES! I'm right there with you. You describe that pain exactly right!!!  I had brevis tendon repair on Nov 16. 2 weeks in cast and 2 weeks in DON'T TAKE IT OFF boot. Now since my appointment last Friday I can take the boot off whenever I want in the house. Also got weight bearing while in the boot clearance too. Mostly I just stay home and sit around with my foot up. That awful nerve pain started ripping me out of sleep at week 2.5 - the doctor told me he "played the sural nerve like a banjo" during surgery and it could take a couple months to settle down. My post surgery pain meds didn't help it and then oddly I discovered that ibuprofen helps a bit - seems to reduce inflammation around it? I had about a week of horrible nights before I figured out the ibuprofen and-  whether that was the thing or not, who knows. But the shocking pain quit waking me for about 5 nights. But then suddenly here I am again - this time worse. It seems to be related to how much I'm out and about up and around durign the day? I don't know. Also - seems to be coinciding with my incision scabbing off. I can't stand anything to touch it so yesterday and today I sit around out of the boot   - naked foot. In the night last night I tried aspercreme with lidocaine + ibuprofen and I got a couple solid naps. When I press right into the sparking pain and massage the area it seems to turn down spark and actually feels good. But then it comes right back. And I can't massage while I sleep!  So frustrating that it seems to flare worse at night. I'm hanging on to hope that it will get better. My doctor has been so honest along this way. He told me from the start it will be HARD recovery. On friday he said again - I can expect to be four +months out and hit some rough patches and panic and be all like, "I thought this was fixed!?!" But he promises in a year I'll look back and it will all be behind me. 

I can't offer hope from experience. But....there is that. And I'm right there with you!! ugh.

• Posted

Well, I hate to say it but misery loves company!  Nice to just be able to have someone relate to what I'm feeling.  I do agree that the more active I am, the worse the burning is.  I am putting about 75% of my weight onto that foot right now and using one crutch.

During the day, I do find a compression stocking to be soothing...have you tried that?  My physiotherapist recommended it.  It is difficult to get on and off, but I like the way it feels.

i usually sit with my foot up and the cast off at night.  I hate putting it back on to sleep but I was told I had to.  When it's on at night it makes the stinging worse because i hate anything touching my ankle area.  Sometimes I feel as if I have a blister that's been skinned off, but the shoe keeps rubbing against it.  That is what it feels like.

Good luck and keep posting your progress!  

• Posted

Rtfoot...how has your progress been lately?  My nerve pain is not improving and most nights I am taking 1-2 Percocet just to get to sleep.  Any contact with the side of my foot and ankle is so burning and irritating.  I hate putting any sort of shoe on it which is really impacting my ability to help get my mobility back.  Except for going to physio, I avoid walking because it means a shoe or slipper will have to go on.  I'm at about 7 or 8 weeks post-surgery now and am getting really concerned.  If it weren't for this awful nerve pain, I would have very little pain now from the actual surgery...just the swelling. 😩

• Posted

Oh my goodness!!! I AM SO SORRY. Your description of this problem is the most exactly like my experience and I know it is miserable!!! You must be exhausted!

I did somehow manage to break through the worst of that pain - It still flares but not with the same intensity. My most effective response seems to be ibuprofen + aspercreme with lidocaine and NOTHING TOUCHING IT. I actually haven't been allowed to be up and around all that much on my foot - when I went to first PT a couple weeks ago he gave me a very shortlist of things I could work on (flex/extend) and said to come back after my next dr apointment - this coming Friday.  So. I'm allowed careful weightbearing - wearing my boot + crutches, but I live in Alaska - snow and ice outside means I mostly stay inside. And it doesn't take much time on my feet to create swelling that triggers nervey pain (though again, not like it was!) and/or grumpiness!! I'll be 8 weeks post-op Wednesday. When I saw dr right before Christmas he told me that 3-4 months out I'd very likely hit some hard snags and wonder if it was ever gonna get better, but he said a year from surgery it would all be behind me.  Long hard road!!!

• Posted

This is a pretty lengthy thread. I'm glad I found it smile

My surgery is slightly different from the ones all have listed here. On the 1st week of January I had a bone spur removal at the Achilles tendon, Achilles tendon repair, peroneal tendon repair, and finally a Brostrom procedure to tighten/strengthen my ankle. I'm now 5 weeks post surgery and am about to have my 2nd pt. I'm wearing in aircast boot and still have streisuture strips along all 3 of my incisions. When I stand, with crutches, my foot swells almost instantly and I'm told that's normal. Is it? All of the skin that flakes off my foot and between my toes is really bugging me and I really want to take a bath with that ankle in the water. Have any of you experienced the 1st bath and how do you know when it's okay to put your foot in the bath unprotected? I'm still getting a burning/stabbing feeling on the side of my ankle along with the more recent pain, a sharp stabbing feeling between the peroneal and Achilles incision. Is that normal? I ice it daily for about 15 minutes per section after I do my at home rehab. Oh and I also can't wiggle my toes yet either adhd the pt thinks is because I got turf toe during one of my falls right after surgery.

• Posted

Un fortunately no bath until incision is healted. I was in a hard cast for 10 weeks so yes the skin on my foot was terrible but when it starts coming off its like baby skin and I am 70 so that was alot of skin to shed. The pain you are experiencing is nerve pain, it is absoluntely the worst, I am 20 weeks out and stil have a big toe that is very painful but talking to Dr this could all last up to a year to get better. I was more disappointed in my lack of being able to walk around the block without my foot becoming fatigued but Dr states you loose so much muscle that it takes to time to get back.

so hope you are doing better and do as your Dr says

• Posted

Wow cheryl96314, 10 weeks in a hard cast? I feel fortunate in that respect compared to most of the comments I've read. My Dr wanted me out of the hard cast after a week, but due to my wife taking a job 4 states away, we couldn't get back for the followup for almost 3 weeks post-op.

I'm being told by that for the burning and stabbing pains that I should ask my Dr for an Rx for Amitriptyline. It's supposed to help with nerve pains. I think I'm going to give that a shot, because the pains make it impossible to get a full nights sleep as well as making it an unpleasant experience to even stand up let alone go anywhere.

Finding a new Dr to help me in my recovery is proving to be horribly difficult. I actually went out on short term disability about 4 months ago. Since then the FMLA had past by over a month and since the Dr says it'll be around 6 months before I could return to work (I'm a professional driver), then my employer had to terminate my position. So now we live in the state where my wife took a job. I'm less than 90 days post-op, so no Dr around here wants anything to do with me. Looking like we'll have to fly back to our home state to have the 60 day followup with the original Dr.

Is anyone else on here using the Aircast boot? I can't seem to add air to mine just yet. It hurts to have anything, even a gentle breeze, touch the back and side of my heel. I do still have some percocet left, but would rather not have to take it.

Cheryl96314, at 70 years young it sounds like you're doing very well in your recovery. I'm a stubborn 44 year old man who was raised by a single mother who was almost as stubborn as me lol, so I listen to the Dr but also test my limits smile.

• Posted

I had the same surgery he worked on the same tendon and stabalized it by shifting my heel bone and putting screws in it.  He said today I can start to walk on it (it has beens 4 weeks)  I am finding it difficult though.  I can't bend my ankle and it is very uncomfortable.  Wondering how long it took you until you felt semi-normal while walking.

• Posted

Hi all. So glad I found this post. Had surgery on May 17th to repair a split peroneus brevis tendon in left ankle. Surgeon said he had to form the 2 tendons together to make a strong one because it was so smashed and torn. Injury was caused by a back surgery that caused nerve damage and made my foot go all wobbly. I have been non weight bearing since surgery. Going in tomorrow for second follow up and supposed to be put in air boot. I have had trouble with this foot and leg so have not been able to walk correctly for about 4 years and have been in the boot before, 9 weeks, for torn ligaments on the other side of foot. I am scared to go into boot because I am having so much nerve pain. The nerve pain down the outside of my calf from the back surgery and now nerve pain in my foot and ankle. My Dr told me it would probably be about 9 months after the surgery before I would walk correctly. I am sorry for what everyone is going through, but as one person said, misery loves company. I am very worried about the additional nerve pain but it sounds like it is pretty normal? The nerve pain from my back surgery has become worse. Especially since I am still in cast and cannot massage it at all. Can anyone tell me when their nerve pain started to get better and to expect some of the nerve pain to go away? I work, a lot, and hope to go back July 1.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.