Post op problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've read most of the posts here but I still need some reassurance. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op. I'm 57, female and not over-weight. I've never had any digestion problems prior to about last July. I underwent a load of tests and gallstones were diagnosed after an ultrasound.

Since the op I've been feeling pretty well but have had the occasional day (well between 12-36 hours) of feeling pretty rough with nausea. This doesn't seem to be linked to food - I'm trying to eat little and often and remain on a low-fat diet - it just happens randomly.

I went to see my GP last week but unfortunately ended up seeing a trainee GP who said I must have had another problem prior to the gallstones and gave me some antacids - which promptly made me feel worse.

Is this normal? Am I just being impatient?

All the best

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I had my gallbladder out last April (I have a hiatus hernia and Barrett also). I have never been one for vomitting but have always had nausea. I continue to have nausea and I was still vomitting after the op until November. I decided to try a food enzyme which seems to help but still have the nausea and other wind related problems. A friend had her gallbladder out 2 years ago but is getting pains and now has to go for another scan.

It seems that some people are completely cured whilst others have these niggling problems. Mr Spock, on this site, told me \"to give it a year\" and he is very right. I still have to eat low fat, eat early in the evening and I have my last cup of tea and low fat biscuit by 8 pm. I still get caught out, as I did the other night, with pains in the gall bladder area and nausea.

I know this doesn't help you. The good thing is that the terrible chest pain has gone and the cresendo of pain that occurred in the back when a gallstone attack was in full swing. You are not alone. Things will get better.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.

Although the day surgery keyhole option is fantastic, it doesn't seem to have any \"call back\" option where you can get such questions answered. :?

It's reassuring to know that it's nothing desperate so I'll be patient and keep my fingers crossed.

Best wishes

• Posted

Just had a week away. I took Domperidone as I had been getting nausea attacks again. I had a good week and found I could eat things I hadn't for years. I call the tablets my 'magic tablets' but only take them when I am really suffering. Saturday night I ate something, I know not what, that completely tipped the scales. I had terrible reflux in the night, gurgling and nausea. Sunday I had pain in my ex gallbladder area, front and back plus the chills. Today, Monday I feel as right as rain. That takes some explaining.
  • Posted

Hi Gemini

I went back to the GP last week and she gave me Domperidone and I've had to take the first dose this morning - woke up feeling as sick as a dog at 4.30am! It took a couple of hours but does seem to have worked.

The GP implied that this nausea can sometimes happen after any surgery and said that she thought I might have been doing too much too soon. In fact when I look back the episodes do seem to be after some sort of physical activity. However, I didn't do much at all yesterday so......

Heyho - as long as I can control it!

Terri

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.