Post op prolapse bulge

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

I'm 3 weeks post op from anterior and posterior repairs plus enterocoele and perineal rebuild and plucked up courage today to feel the area.

I'm not sure what I expected but it feels like I have bumpy bulging flesh at the entrance to my vagina. My perineum just felt rock hard! I'm going to see my GP for reassurance but is this fleshy bulge normal? It chafes as well and is making me worry I've somehow managed to ruin the operation already. Can't bring myself to look. Anyone else have this? Thanks

Helen

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm one week post-op and I know exactly what bulge you are referring to. It's the only place I feel is still extremely sensitive. It's the place I felt like my stitches were pulling. I felt down there yesterday and it was bulgy and very sensitive. I think this might also be the only place still having a little drainage. When you see your doctor can you let me know if it's normal or not? Thanks.

• Posted

Thanks I will let you know what GP says. Seeing her Thursday

I'm just paranoid wondering if I've overdone it or if the doc didn't sew it up enough! Lol

• Posted

Hi

Saw my GP today and she said it looks like I'm healing fine. The bulging is just swelling around labia and entrance . She thinks I might have an infection tho and swabbed me. I was terrified about her inserting the speculum but she used a tiny one and it was only a little way in. It was fine. She also cut off a 2 inch piece of thread from the stitches that was hanging out! Feeling better that I haven't ruined my surgery and that the swelling is normal.

• Posted

So glad to hear everything is going good! That's is a really long string! Have you got the courage to look yet wink what makes you gp think you have an infection? Because of the swelling?

• Posted

Hi Lynn

It was the GP that thinks I have infection. She said it looks weepy. And I do have yellow stringy blobs come out when I pee. It also feels chafed and raw. Bit like a bad dose of thrush. Will find out Monday .time for a salty bath!

• Posted

Although I have not had op yet, I hear many ladies say this is normal swelling where repairs were done. Go to doc to make sure though. Best wishes
  • Posted

You have to look. It's probably better than you are picturing. I check my pernium stitches daily with a mirror. When I look with the mirror I see a bulge at the opening too. I haven't felt it yet. Hard to remember what "normal" looks like. How are you feeling? Are bm better than before? Are you leaking urine? What about when you cough or sneeze? go with how you're prolapse symptoms are compared to pre op more than how it looks/ feels. Hopefully your gp gives you some reassurance

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Good point. I'm not leaking but mine tended to be primarily when active - run jump etc

It's that feeling that flesh from the inside is on the outside which reminds me of before. However I can't remember normal either. Seeing GP Thursday and will feed back what she says. Too squeamish to look myself until I see her reaction - when I had my son 9 years ago the mid wife looked at my stitches and nearly passed out and said what ever you do don't look down there! That's stayed with me. X

• Posted

I've for my fingers crossed for you. I fear reprolapsing almost every day (I'm 4 weeks post). I never want to go through surgery again

• Posted

Hi I thought it'd be hard to get a repeat prolapse on a posterior vag repair? Is it something which will be a permanent fix, although I realise I need to strengthen up and not do damage while recovering.

• Posted

Ideally it would be. We just have to be extra careful
    • Posted

My consultant said that posterior op has 90% success rate and anterior 60%.Seeing him tomorrow for my follow up after nearly 9 weeks post op for posterior repair,I have done no hoovering for all this time so do not know if successful but my anterior prolapse which is stage 1 seems worse.Quite disappointed as still feel the same as I did pre op.

• Posted

Is it scar tissue? A physical therapist might be able to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.