Post Op Questions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I entered a post on how I'm going to need a ligament repair that'll be done early next year, but for whatever reason it went "under review" and hasn't posted on the board which is frustrating.

Ayway, I know that I'm going to be NWB for quite awhile (last time it was 6 weeks), so I'm thinking about options other than crutches, even though I can do crutches long term (had them for 3 months or so, NWB back in high school)...so I'm looking into the knee scooter and the iWalk 2.0. 

Have any of you had experience with either and/or both? Which would you recommend. I want to get back to work as quickly as possible after the surgery, and I work in retail (or maybe childcare by then, not sure, have an interview later this week)...so?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Go with the scooter, absolutely no question.  You cannot carry anything when on crutches.  On a scooter, you can do lots of things (especially if you have one with a basket).  You don't get so tired and you aren't tempted to put weight on your foot when you are still non-weight bearing.  I cleaned house, cooked, did laundry, shopped, etc. My surgery was on my left ankle, so I even drove (although the scooters are heavy and a little tricky to get into the trunk of a car!)  I ditched the crutches after one day because I was unsteady on them and pooped out after a round-trip to the bathroom.  Go with the scooter, it's way better than crutches!

• Posted

You actually CAN carry things whilst on crutches. For example, when I had my surgery last time, I got so good that I could go to the kitchen, make myself a sandwich and bring it back out to the living room, all while on crutches. Easy? Not really. Possible? Absolutely! Something you could get used to, Yes! I started doing it all the time once I got the hang of it.
  • Posted

Although you CAN carry things whilst on crutches, sometimes, but I’m totally agreed with using scooters, the only problem is that scooters are really heavy and a little big to get into the trunk of a car, for example. And about iWalk 2.0, I didn’t try that, but I don’t think that would be good, I don’t like that, I don’t know why.
    • Posted

I take the bus (well, will whenever my parents can't drive me which will all depend on my work schedule), so anything cumbersome is not so great. Maybe I could just keep the scooter at work and use crutches at home...my apartment isn't big at all, it's barely worth crutches -- hopping on one foot would honestly be better most of the time...

• Posted

Good idea!

Ah, parents are angles. They also helped me to coup with all this "After Surgeries”...

• Posted

Hi keeponsingin,

I vote for knee scooter. Had surgery June 2,2016. Bunch of ligaments, tendons, arch reconstruction,bunion fixed. Sept. 16,2016 had TAR. Nwb for long time. All done on left foot, but scooter was the best thing I ever did. Kept me from going stir crazy over summer. Lets u be mobile & do things. I could drive & go places. Get your temporary handicapped placard card too. Still renting scooter even though pt promoted me to cane with a walking limp . Still use scooter when Xmas shopping in malls & long distances, & when in extreme ankle pain. ( just a quick note about scooter- sometimes I got knee & low back pain) I zipped tied a bike basket to front & have had great success with it.

Good luck with healing & your decision.

Weezer

• Posted

Why the basket? Why not just a purse? (Unless you are not female and then I understand)...but I used purses even on crutches. I'm also a very stubborn person and when I want something I usuallty get it!

• Posted

Hi, I used both. Purses slip off shoulder sometimes. Just convienent when doing a lite shopping, that's all.

Weezrr

• Posted

I have just had 8 weeks NWB and used an iWalk 2.0. I Found it incredibly stable and easy to use, with the benefit of leaving both hands completely free. I am 66, by the way and quite active, with the iWalk I decorated the house, could clean the car etc etc - the only thing I couldn't do was climb a ladder!

I haven't used a scooter, but don't they have handlebars and brakes? how do you carry a cup of tea upstairs with one of those?

• Posted

I've heard that the iWalk can be difficult because you have to take it off to sit down. How did that work out for you? It wouldn't really be practical for me to ever sit at work then...and standing for 8-9 hour shifts can be extremely hard!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.