Post op recovery - help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 

I'm 5 weeks post op now and I have had my cast off today to be out in a walking boot. Problem is, my foot won't go into the walking boot despite 3 wedges in there, my heel physical won't go down it's that tight. Is this normal? They said at the hospital if I can't get my foot to go down on 24 hours I need to go back, and I have been trying for the last 4 hours and it just won't go, no where near. I've been referred for urgent physio starting Monday. Has anyone else had this problem? Literally feels like my heel will never be able to reach the ground again at this point and I'm starting to stress. Is it possible for the repair to be too tight? 

Thanks R 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Was it Achilles Tendon Repair?

Di your tendon fully rupture or was it just a tear?

It'll loosen up don't worry - but make sure you do the Physio.

• Posted

Hello 

Yes it was a repair for full rupture, and have been in a cast with my toe pointed done for the last 5 weeks. The doctor went to get the physio today becus I literally could not pull my foot up and he looked worried, that's why he's urgently referred me for Monday, so got me worried! He seemed to be shocked that I was still in full cast at 5 weeks? Anyway im look forward to going to physio and hopefully getting my heel down in a normal position, although I don't know how at the moment! Literally feels like it's superglued in that position! 

• Posted

I had surgery on both of my Achilles due to ruptured. I'm at the tail end of everything. But my doctor/surgeon lengthened my one and did a tendon transfer on both! I never had that issue but my doctor had me start doing home exercise right after I got my splint off (4 weeks) and now doing physical therapy. I would definitely call ur doctor. And start therapy. Kelly. Good luck! It's no fun but u will get through it!

• Posted

Hi

This will take a lot of time and patient so definitely do not rush it.

I ruptured mine over 18 months ago and every evening used to massage gently the Achilles and the whole foot with warm oil. This will help loosen everything up together. Just be careful not to rub if you still have stiches. Just start very gently literally to warm up from calf downwards. You need to take this holistic approach as one thing affects the other.

Remember no hard pressing just gentle motion which we slowly start to loosen everything up.

• Posted

i’m four weeks postop and I’m actually heading to my first physical therapy appointment today. I would definitely check with your doctor and your physical therapist, but if they are OK with it I would start doing some exercises on your own at home. After my third week my doctor recommended I start moving my foot a little bit to regain some flexibility in the tendon. I can almost put my foot on the ground flat. I’m not allowed to put any weight on it yet but the flexibility I have is almost back to 85%. I think every situation is different so don’t get discouraged! The tendon will loosen up but you have to be very diligent with physical therapy. Don’t do anything before talking to your doctor and physical therapist first. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.