Post-op report - LAL

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my operation yesterday, and checkup today. So far, so good.

1. I got the RxSight Light Adjustable Lens implanted in one eye, which had become very nearsighted due to cataract. My other eye is not yet significantly affected by cataract, and is still about 20/20.
  2. The surgeon targeted roughly plano for the LAL, and thinks he got reasonably close, I may be slightly farsighted for now. The artificial eye has long been my near-vision eye, and the plan is to adjust for more nearsightedness and greater depth of focus when the light adjustments are done.
  3. I seem to have no adverse effects of any significance. A slight glimmer just occasionally in peripheral vision, and this already seems like it may be going away. I am far more sensitive to light today, which I think is normal right after cataract surgery. No halos or artifacts of any kind, night or day. I drove to my checkup long before sunrise this morning and headlights looked perfectly normal. No pain, nothing unnatural to speak of in my vision - feels and sees just like a real eye.
  4. My plastic eye does see things noticeably whiter than my natural eye sees them. I don't know whether this is due to the early-stage cataract darkening/yellowing the vision in my natural eye, or the lack of a blue-light filter in the LAL, or what. I don't find the difference to be good or bad, just different.
  5. LAL vision was kind of fuzzy yesterday after the operation. It felt like maybe 20/50 vision. Today, it tested at ~20/20, and subjectively seems every bit as good as my natural eye at long distance.
  6. I was able to read J7 this morning with the LAL eye. The strangest effect for me is that for the first time in my entire life, I am now unable to read tiny print by bringing it close to my eye. It is very hard to read my cellphone with the LAL eye, but I can get by reading with my natural eye. (I could use reading glasses, but homie don't play dat!) I am eagerly looking forward to getting back some of my reading vision in a few weeks.
  7. Doc says I can resume weight lifting as soon as Day 3 after surgery. That surprised me.
  8. I will get my first light adjustment in three weeks, and I hope to get my monovision back then.

I know that most cataract surgeries go just fine, but regardless it is a great relief to have the implantation done and successful. I feel good about my choice of surgeon, lens, and strategy. Thanks to everyone here for your advice, prayers, and good wishes!

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

i had my second eye done a couple weeks back

had an adjustment yesterday to tighten up my reading

im gonna end up 20/15 for reading and distance

its amazing technology

• Posted

That sounds great. I don't think I'll do quite that well, but so long as I can ditch the reading glasses I've been using for the past couple weeks, I will be happy.

• Posted

I am curious. How much did the LAL cost you?

• Posted

$7,500

All cash, no insurance, one eye. Plus ~$500 for the initial exam and the required eyedrops.

• Posted

Yeah. It's less if you have insurance paying part, but it's expensive. No doubt due to the fancy technology and the cost of the follow-up adjustment treatments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.