Post Op - screw removal

Posted , 31 users are following.

I had a fall on Friday 13th Feb and surgery followed. I have a plate and 8 pins down my fibula and one longer screw further down. The plate and screws are destined to stay in place but there seems to be conflicting information on the longer screw. The consultants says the views swing as to if this should be removed. He says it won't cause any damage or harm if it breaks if I leave it In. Has anybody experienced this? If I can save another op that would be good. Or if anybody has had pin removed what happens after does it delay getting back on your foot. Thanks from a frustrated week four non weight bearing patient.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl I also had a plate fitted and screws x2 in my inside foot were the screws and the plate down the left outside foot I broke tibia n tibia n dislocated my foot

I have been on at the surgeon since I had them fitted as they were really sore n uncomfortable well they were fitted march 16 and finally on 9th December I was back in surgery for removal

It's still early days but I'm walking better I've not got the horrible pain that used to shoot under my foot and stopped me in my tracks

My leg is still very sore but good painkillers help I've had emergency physio and she was well surprised with me and so was I

I did full weight bare straight away and had a crutch to walk with just extra support as wasn't sure how much I could put down

Anyway back next Thursday for stitches out but for me it's made a big difference to me I'm really happy onwards and upwards good luck in you're recovery remember everyone is different and it depends on what the surgeon says regards dawn

• Posted

I had my Dr.visit today and he told me if it doesn't bother me leave it alone so for now I will leave the hardware in. It is almost a year for me. I still have pain when I walk to far but I am doing great the Dr. says. On hot days entire leg still swells.

• Posted

I broke tib fib Jan. 20the 2016. My surgery was Feb. 5. Recovery was sore and took time. It's been a year almost and I still feel every step I take. The pain in my shin is I think right where the plate is as I can see and feel something along side of shin bone that is not on other leg. I am really wondering if the removal of the plate will make walking easier and less painful. The incision by my ankle is OK...it's the other incision area on the front mid lower leg that I am having a problem with. I am going back to surgeon but was wondering if my situation sounds like yours. Speedy healing to you and Happy New Year!!!

• Posted

Mine is not really sore, just stiff. I went back in December for x rays and follow up. Nothing is backing out. I have 2 large screws on one side and about 6 with a plate on the other side. Also one that goes all the way from one side to the other. I broke that one almost as soon as I was allowed to put weight on the ankle. (3 months). I broke mine Jan. 17, 2016. Surgery was 4 days later. My Dr. talked me out of getting 2 large screws out at this time. I am 65 and he says another operation might be a longer heal tho I did heal well. It is a toss up, but if I was in pain he would have taken the screws out. My ankle looks like frankensteins neck. He also never said the plate could be removed, maybe because of my age. Let me know how you make out. Happy New Year to you also!!
    • Posted

How are you doing now?
    • Posted

What was the outcome of your visit to the surgeon? Did you have the metal removed? I have extreme pain from my shin 8 months after the plate was fitted. Im getting so frustrated at not being able to walk without pain. Id live to know how you are now?

Jayne

• Posted

I did not have my metal removed as yet. I have been to a second opinion and he also said since it is not really bothering me to leave it in. I have no pain, I do know it is in their though..... 
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl I broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it in Nov 15 I had a plate, seven screws and 9 bolts either side of my ankle. I had these removed due to excessive pain and swelling, so bad I could barely walk and I'm 25 and fit in Aug 16. I can honestly say this was the best descision I made for my ankle and road to recovery. I was in and out and walking very slowly on the same day, I was driving after a week and back to work after 2 weeks. Nothing like the first op and no more swelling, although I have pain still (not as bad) due to requiring another op on my ankle to fix damaged tendons and ligaments. A few people I know have had their metalwork out and they had told me to do it before I visited a consultant who confirmed that it needed to be done.

• Posted

I forgot to mention you could clearly see my metal work sticking out from under my skin. Metal is not meant to be in your body, if you are in pain and your ankle is still swollen after 6months it is rejecting the metal. I have read up on this, it's irritating your ankle. I am in a much better place physically since having this op. My consultant went in to my original scars to do this op so there was nothing worse there... I was also a dancer from 4-16 yet I couldn't go on my tiptoes on my bad ankle like I could on my good ankle which I can now do. Please believe me, do not listen to your consultants, they want to keep costs down esp NHS. I had a brilliant consultant who told me my first op looked like a tool box on the X-ray!

• Posted

I am going to go back to the MD soon. I have a clicking when I walk. My husband says I sonun like I am wearing 1 high heel shoe and I am wearing sneakers. I will ask about the metal out.  Thank you for sharing.
    • Posted

No worries at all. The downtime for the second surgery is not like the first at all. I was walking the same day, driving after a week and I got rid of my crutches after day 2, back at work week 2. I moved house in the 3rd week so I was packing boxes not lifting as that would be dangerous. But it was so worth it. You will not regret having the metal out. Movement, flexibility, strength has all improved for me so has the swelling and the pain caused by the metal irritating my ankle. Unfortunately I need one more op to stitch my ligaments together and that is 2 months recovery sad but anything to get my old life back smile

• Posted

Thanks to GOD I didn't tear, just broke on both sides Ice Skating with grandchildren. I am in USA, I think your in UK? We went on vac to UK in June. LOVED it. 

• Posted

Aah that's nice, yes I am born and bred in London. It's funny we can't see the appeal of the UK I would much rather be on your side of the water!

Best of luck with your ankle, I hope it improves for you! smile

• Posted

Hi Cheryl I'm dawn my dad's name comes up as i registered him lol i broke tibia n tibia in march 2016

I had screws and plate fitted on left leg the 2 screws in ankle were aggravated me so when time for ankle healing to finish i asked if they could all be removed

As my movement was limited in Dec i went in to have the scars cut open n screws n plate removed i had no problems

It still gets a bit sore but i have full movement again and if they annoy you get them out if you've no problems leave them in

I had to be very careful for about 7 weeks till screw holes filled in but i weight bared straight away used crutches for 1 day for extra support but i wouldn't look back now good luck

• Posted

On June 29 2017 I had surgery to remove a 14 inch plate and 7 screws that had been in there for 17 years. Dr said it would help with the constant pain etc. boy was he WRONG. Not only did he LITERLLY chisel half my bone away, my bone looks like Swiss cheese. The pain has intensified and I cannot walk barefoot. He now informed me it was. 50/50 chance it would make it better or worse (hey thanks for now telling me Doc!) and as my luck would hve it, it's worse. I now have to go to pain management as he cannot continue to treat the disaster he made of my leg. I am losing hope. I am 31 and have always Brenna active however, this has really put a HALT ON THAT!! I don't know what else to do but hope and pray this pain management dr can help me!

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain and messed up. I never had mine out, still pondering it. My Dr. said they would only take pins out from one side and never take out the plate on the other side. I live in USA, not sure where you are. I think this conversation also has people from GB. I wonder if it is a Dr. decision as to the treatment? Your situation gives me chills as I can feel your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.