post op smear requests.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just wondering how many ladies like me,who have been sent a request to book myself in for a cervical smear,when i dont actually have one anymore?.I underwent a Total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oophrectomy back in January and after i was discharged from the hospital,my gp was sent a copy of my discharge letter stating what op i had done and later after histology was back on my tissues removed my consultant wrote to me and circulated in the gp,that i would no longer require cervical smears...so why arent the local health trust picking up on this?.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had lavh and ovaries removed May last year. I also was asked to go for a smear, I queried this with my practice nurse who advised me that it's to check the vaginal cuff and make sure nothing has been left xx

• Posted

i had my cervix removed and my consultant wrote to me after my surgery to say that i wouldnt need further screening....they had checked all my tissue samples removed and they were normal.i know some woman have a vault smear?but i was under the impression i wouldnt need any further tests...x
  • Posted

I had my cervix removed along with everything else the pelvic wash was all clear etc, got a letter from GP practice saying I no longer needed a smear test. Yippee! x
  • Posted

Yes I had that and I live in Herefordshire I had my hysterectomy last Nov and had to ring them up and then they sent me a letter confirming I didn't have to have them anymore

• Posted

I had a letter from the NHS care unit here in the Southeast to say I no longer need a smear test.  I would just let them know for the record. x
  • Posted

I'm in Florida... Total hysterectomy- cervix uterus both tubes both ovaries... I've heard I don't need a pap and I've heard I do that I could still get cancer in the lining...I'm unfortunately living with uti's... And I believe it's from lack of hormones and it's crazy...

• Posted

If your hysterectomy was not done for abnormal or cancerous cervical or endometrial cells then you don't need paps anymore. With a "total" hysterectomy (uterus and cervix), the only thing left to "smear" is your vagina. This was a big news item a number of years back in the U.S. because so many women were having them done unnecessarily which was costing insurance companies and patients. I wish they would "crack down" on all the unnecessary hysterectomies and oophorectomies since only about 10% are necessary and they cause so many problems!

I'm sorry you're dealing with the post-hysterectomy never-ending UTI's! Hormones are likely partly to blame but the removal of the uterus displaces the bladder too (as well as the bowel) which can cause all kinds of problems. Have you tried or considered using estrogen either vaginally or systemically? 

Hope you can get these treated.

• Posted

My total hysterectomy/cervix+ oopherectomy was done because of stage 1 cancer and I was told I didn't need a smear any more.

• Posted

Nope no estrogen because I also have a seizure disorder- oh lucky me!

On my 4 th antibiodic... Ug!

Thanks for answering me 😳

• Posted

I had full hysterectomy 2 years ago and the same happened to me. I did complain to the GP practice about the lack of communication between the different departments.
  • Posted

Same with me. Just rang them and explained I'd had total hysterectomy and they removed me from their lists.

• Posted

thank you for all your replies,i will ring my Gp practice and let them know to update my records. xx
  • Posted

When i queries with my gp practice I was advised it maybe a vault smear that was required. The practice nurse had to confirm with my gyn as to whether this was needed or not x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.