post-op spermatic cord swelling

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had bilateral hydrocelectomy 7 days ago. I took keflex for 5 days post-op. No major swelling of scrotum or testis to speak of, just some inflammation of the remains of the excised hydrocele. A few days post-op, but while still taking the antibiotic, I noted some pain along the right spermatic cord, and today, noticed the spermatic cord has some swelling and tenderness. The hydrocele on this side was large and did extend a long way up, so am unsure if this is just typical post-op swelling, or whether I have an infection that the antibiotic failed to resolve. Is swelling of the cord uncommon, or typical?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Think this is common as I had that but after a couple of weeks it all settled down, testicle is still large but seems to be reducing now.

• Posted

So the spermatic cord has remained enlarged, albeit much less so and the pain is gone. But on one side, the hydrocele is returning, already a third the size of the testicle judging from transillumination. Oddly, the other testicle has no such recurrence but instead, the entire testicle transilluminates. No idea what that means but I have a postop followup appointment next week. The other curious thing is that the testicles feel joined. There are 2-3 distinct strands between the testicles, I dont know if the surgeon joined them surgically, or whether this is some odd scar tissue formation. The other other weird thing is my testicles generally feel larger than before. Is this normal? Does the size reduce over time?
  • Posted

Hi bOsim,

I was back to see the surgeon today with a different problem but while I was there he checked me over as I had 3 hydrocele repairs in the lasy year. The last operation was 5 months ago and it seems to have worked this time. Only thing I can feel in mine is a row of stitches, when I told him it was larger than before I was told that all is well and the size now reflects the amount of times I had at surgery before it worked. I think that it is gradually getting smaller but reside to the fact that they will always be bigger now. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.