Post-op Spondylolisthesis L4-S1

Posted , 7 users are following.

Want to share info about my surgery and hope it can help someone.

Two months ago I had my surgery. L5 spondylolisthesis, Fusion of L4, 5 and S1 (which for me looks like an L6). Involved moving L5, 2 rods, six screws, titanium baskets with bone inside for fusion (some my bone, some from bone bank). Doctors say I'm doing well and next check up September 11.  I am now free of stabbing pains but still pretty sore in hip and buttock region with tweaks and spasms there and in legs occasionally, can't sit more than n hour without getting up and moving, standing too long causes pain, but I am able to walk outside and some days can do only a block or two, some days more.

I have been told that because of realignment, all of the muscles, ligaments, nerves have to stretch and adapt to the new structure. I feel straighter and I like that... I have less Lordosis (swayback). Even looks different when I stand sideways in front of the mirror. I do not feel the rods and screws, but that area is flatter on the outside since some of those boney structures had to be removed.

Still being very careful about bending, lifting, twisting (BLT as the professionals here [smile] . I have one of those picker tools in each room and even in the car. Wonderful gadgets. At 66, I plan to keep using them to take good care of my less than perfect spine.  Still taking meds for nerve pain, muscle spasm, and a mild pain pill, Tramadol. No narcotics now.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it's going and so glad I had this done before I got any older. I recommend doing plenty of research and making sure you get to the right clinic and surgeon. Mine was a neurosurgeon and I wouldn't have had it any other way. 

Any questions, please write to me. I'm happy to help where I can.

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi DonnaL

How did your recovery go.

I had fusion 4 months ago but still in pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.