Post op swelling and pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all ... i had my op nearly 3 weeks ago and still in lot of pain and quite swollen is this normal ??? Also how long realisticaly does recovery take ??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 1 week post-op. Pain was never severe after surgery, nothing like what I had before. My swelling was minimal. Started on hand and wrist exercises which have given me a little more discomfort. Rarely needed more than ibuprofen.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 4 weeks post op. I'm the same. Although I had my other hand done 5 months ago and by week 7 I was much better and back at work. This one is taking longer to heal. Just rest it. My surgeon saw me last week and said rest elevate and ice.

Hope this helps. Just takes time. Some longer than others.

• Posted

Hi thanks i didnt get much post op advice when i left the hospital .... ive been doing what i can untill it hurts .. just i was told 4 weeks recovery but now think its going to be longer
    • Posted

You should absolutely rest it and not use til it hurts. Mine is is the right and I live on own so anything heavy I do with the left.

I've rung the hospital this morn as its agonizing a lot of the time and they're going to get the surgeon to ring me later today. They said in the meantime to keep resting it and take painkillers.

When I had my left one done it wasn't as bad as this. There are a lot of nerves in there so different horses different courses and all that. I have another 3 weeks of my sick note left, hoping I don't need a 3rd, cos on top of all this I'm putting weight on now haha.

• Posted

Thanks i am resting it ... think might be pushing it too much too soon ...

Hope you get some relief soon

• Posted

I had my left hand done 9weeks ago. The CTR surgery has worked but i still get pain in my wrist and stiffness in lower hand and thumb from the surgery, But nothing like the pain 3weeks after the op. I was off work for 7weeks . It will get better in time. Keep doing your hand exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.