Post op swelling and pain 8 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there!

I am 8 weeks post op (left fibula malleolus repair requiring 1 screw to fix it, 58 years old) and am having trouble walking  even with crutches because my foot and lower part of my leg still have quite a bit of swelling. When I wear my brace it makes imprints in my leg that I can see when I take it off. If I press my finger into my flesh anywhere between my shin or on the top of my foot it slowly squishes down and a dent remains where my finger pressed down. It takes a few minutes to return to its normal state of puffiness. Is this normal?

It is too painful to walk on although I am pushing myself to walk on it as much as possible with 2 crutches. 

I am beginning to worry that it could be compartment syndrome, has anyone had experience with that ?

Thanks in advance for your reply! Susan

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It sounds like pitting edema.  It's cause can be systemic or local.  I would call the doctor and explain your symptoms.  I would decrease salt intake and would not push yourself.  This injury is a process.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! I am going to see my primary care physician today to get his opinion. I was feeling like I was being a hypochondriac and obsessing over the pitting. That is exactly what it is, based on my google search! :-) I only noticed that it had the pitting characteristic about a week ago but I am sure it's been going on for at least 4 weeks if not from the beginning.  Now I am glad I asked and am going to get his opinion. Will follow up with this post later... 
    • Posted

After seeing my doctor, he confirmed that it is pitting edema and recommended RICE. I picked up some compression socks and put them on and it feels much better. I also bought a reusable gel pad that I am freezing now so I can Ice it. He also recommended massaging the foot and leg in an upward movement to help get he blood back up my leg so I bought a massager with metal ball bearings on it to roll around on everything - it feels really nice!
    • Posted

I have never heard of a massage with metal bearings. Where do you get that from thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.