post op swelling to feet and now ankles

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi there my toe friends x i am nine weeks now post op after having double bunion removal and hammer toe correction, stitches and pins all out, and trying to cope with recovery still, my big toes are so stiff still and still quite numb but its this swelling that is still giving me discomfort, i am trying to walk as normal as possible, if i go out shopping i can only walk for a short while so slowly that my sister puts me in a wheelchair because it would take for ever.... after a day out yesterday where i was sitting down quite a lot i had to come home to these feet and ankles being so swollen, i know the hot weather does not help but this swelling of the ankles and toes are daily now even if elevated... but i dont want to be elevated all day again after nine week down the line, is anyone experiencing this xx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Are you icing your feet as well as keeping them elevated as much as you can?  Icing can relieve the swelling not to mention feels so good.  Are you doing too much too soon?  Are you taking Advil or some over the counter medication to help?  If you have any concerns you should be seeing your doctor right away!!!
  • Posted

Also, I am 6 weeks post op.  Had both bunions done plus some corrective work that resulted in 5 screws.  I still have to take it easy.  Shoes to do not fit (wearing my husband's sports slides).  Please don't rush it!  You may need to buy some inexpensive (and not pretty) slides or sandals that have adjustable straps (like a birkenstock style) to adjust as your swelling goes down.   My feet too are stil quite senstiive.  Tried driving yesterday for 1st time in 6 weeks.  It wasn't to bad but I did a bit of shopping and overdid it. Came home and put ice pack on my feet for about 30 minutes.  

Recovery is such a long process and not sure we realize this.  Don't know about you but I think I might have higher expectations on how long this is going to take and am pushing myself sometimes.  Of course then we pay for it, don't we.

Remember that on this forum, we are just sharing the experience but we are not doctors!    Any concerns or questions should be directed to your physician.

Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery smile

• Posted

hi lynn, thank you for your reply, i do take on board all the advice i am given and it does help so much, yes i agree any main concerns should be directed to GP but all my symptons do seem to be what so many on here are experiencing, so ill just have to be strong and positive, yes my expectations of this surgery was recovery would be sooner, my surgeon did make it sound so straight forward... but not having any surgery for over 20 years and that was only in child birth i did not in anyway think it would be like this.... but its done and i have to get on with it, can i just ask you lynn you mentioned Advil ? is that from the chemist and does it help as i am only taking normal painkillers at present and only really when i have to, thanks gillian.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.