Post op to remove large pelvic mass, any advice?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

6 days ago I had surgery to remove two tumours that were found in my pelvic area (surrounding my uterus and ovaries) about 6 weeks ago. I'm home now and recovering slowly - feeling fed up. I was cut from my belly button down to my pubic bone and although the scar is looking very healthy and clean, I'm on edge with it every second of the day.

I'm trying to rest as much as possible but also have some time on my feet about the house to work the muscles again but I get so tired and a little breathless so quickly, has anyone else experienced this?πŸ˜•

I'm currently waiting for the results of the biopsies which we've been told can take up to 2 weeks. To say I'm petrified would be an under statement! 😒

Anyone been through something similar? How long was your recovery time? Amy advice or tips? Thanks in advance πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I had the same op about 6 months ago for a large tumour. You'll feel tired for a good few weeks. Do bits but not too much as you'll feel it and regret it. It does go though and my scar is looking much better and stomach starting to feel normal again.

As for the results I know how difficult it is but try put it to the back of your mind and concentrate on your recovery. Only other advice is to take a pillow if you go in the car and keep water on hand if you need to cough.

Sue x

• Posted

Thank you sue for your reply! I really appreciate it. Can I ask, if you work - how much time did you have off? I'm struggling with deciding on what to do. I work in a pre school setting so lots of lifting littlest ones, bending, sitting on the floor, low chairs etc... are you still off 6 months later?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope your results were what you had wanted ? X

• Posted

I had six weeks off. I wouldn't go back before then if I were you, especially if you'll be lifting. I felt much better after around my third week but I still got tired and sometimes swollen if I did too much.

Mine was borderline result. No further treatment I just have to have regular scans so not too bad.

X

• Posted

I'm am due to have similar on Friday this week so was interested to see your comments and replies. I've been told 10 days for results...the waiting is awful. I hope you get the all clear.

Angela xxx

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Good luck with your op. You'll be fine. I was in for 5 days. One tip, get lots and lots of nighties as it's all I'm living it at mo as trousers feel very uncomfortable against my scar. I bought soft pj bottoms and joggers etc but I can't seem to keep them on for too long before feeling as though they're rubbing too much.

Again, good luck for the operation on Friday. X

• Posted

I'm having surgery next Thursday and I am so scared, I know how you feel about results coming back I feel very anxious and I haven't even been into surgery yet they will be removing an 8cm complex cyst as well as my left ovary. I hope you get relief soon and great news about your results. I have 3 little girls and I have no idea how I will do it. Again I hope you have a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Hi Lpurdes09855,

I know it's frightening but try not to worry yourself too much, it'll do you no good. I can only speak from experience and say that, genuinely it isn't as frightening as I thought it would be. I was meant to have just the one large 13cm mass removed and my left ovary but surgery went so well and I had the large mass and a smaller one removed plus chocolate cysts on my right ovary and they didn't need to remove my left ovary after all so I still have two ovaries! I have two boys but we'd love another baby - that's how we found tumours on my pelvis as we were trying and it wasn't happening after two easy pregnancies.

Please try not to worry, try and keep your self busy in the run up to the op. I went Christmas shopping and got it all finished and sorted, wrapped everything, visited friends and got the house ready and everything organised and in order for my husband while I'd be away in hospital. It kept my mind off of things and if you're like me. .. shopping kept me very busy and happy!

The hospital staff were amazing and you'll meet some lovely people along the way which will help. I've found out today that we have an appointment on the 16th to discuss my results. It'll be 3 weeks since surgery by then. I'm seeing it as a positive that we are having to wait so long to discuss the results and if the tumours were malignant, surely they wouldn't wait so long to let us know ? Secretary said results are in... so surely they'd want to see me straight away if it was bad news?

Good luck with your op... You'll be fine. Take it easy but stay busy and positive.πŸ˜‰

• Posted

Thank you for your responseand for your kind words, I find talking with other women who have gone through this has helped me through this process and yes staying busy helps a lot , I will try not to worry but it's so hard I must admit.
  • Posted

Hi just wondered how you are getting on now following your original post..I'm on day 10 now and just starting to feel somewhat human again. I don't get my results till the 22nd.

Angela xxx

• Posted

Hi, I'm on my 3rd week of recovery and doing really well. Still not driving and it's driving me mad but tomorrow is the big day where we find out the results so I'm going to ask hen if I can start driving again.

Scar is looking great, healed really well. My tummy is still very bruised but it's mainly from the daily anti coalagen injections. The swelling has gone down a lot now as well.

How are you feeling?

I'm very nervous about tomorrow but glad we are finally finding out after weeks and weeks of the unknown. Crossing everything and also hoping your results on the 22nd are the results your hoping for. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi

Sorry only just seen your reply. ..I'm getting on well 16 days post op and coping well..just tender and tired. Still awaiting results this Tuesday. Did you get your results?? Good news?

Angela x

• Posted

Yes we had results last week and so glad to say all biopsies were benign thank goodness!

Have you had yours ? Hope all went well for you xx

• Posted

Just been reading through this and its been so helpful ladies.Β  Last week the gynae found a large cyst (size of a turnip) on my left ovary so tomorrow morning Ive to go for another scan to determine type of cyst (dermoid or fluid) and then they will decide type of surgery to do.Β  Needless to say I'm very nervous and since they discovered it I cant wait for it to be removed but giving its almost christmas it will probably be Jan.Β  How long did you all have to wait from ultrasound to surgery??

• Posted

Hi..I had initial gp apt on 22nd october .waited just under 2 weeks for an uss followed by bloods..further 2 weeks for ct and Mdt meetings and then surgery exactly 2 weeks after that.
  • Posted

HellI ladies and thank you for your shared experiences, it really does help! Glad I've come across this also to give some perception because I know everyone has differing symptoms!

I have just had a 10 x 8cm dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary (New Years Eve spent on the operating table woohoo!). The wonderful (NHS) surgeon warned that it was unlikely she would be able to salvage the ovary, so I was delighted to learn soon after coming around, that she'd saved it-particularly as I'm only 22.

3 days after laparotomy im in AGONY with gas pressure in my shoulders and ribs which has reduced me to tears and making it impossible to sleep, for me that is rare considering I didn't take morphine for the wound pain for more than 12 hours. This isn't a post-surgery thing that they warn you about! The only thing other than moving around which I've found to help is the peppermint tea.

Good luck to future patients- as someone with crippling anxiety I expected this experience to be a lot worse than it actually was. Xx

• Posted

I suffered the exact same trapped wind pain in my chest and shoulders post op - something I wasn't aware would happen either. Reduced me to tears too, it was awful! πŸ™ŠπŸ™ŠπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
    • Posted

Amanda, please please please can you get in touch with me, my daughter has just been diagnosed with a cyst your size and I wondered if we can talk about it with you.

Thanks

Anne

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.