Post Op Total Knee Replacement. Sleeping positions.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all. I am 5 days out from my TKR and am finding sleeping on my back very difficult. I would love to know if this concerns anyone else and also is it safe to sleep on my side !!!  I imagine this will sound odd to some but am still so unsure of what I can and cannot safely do. Cheers.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The knee is solid....you aren't going to dislocate or hurt it.....next thing is going a way to rest, anytime you can. You may have to put a pillow between your legs and even that can be your choice. Some prefer thin, some regular and even some go for the body length that they find on Amazon or eBay. Sounds like you are doing well....just stay with the basics and make sure you hydrate.

• Posted

Thank you ! I tried this and was so much more comfortable. The challenge was letting myself turn on my side - how crazy is that smile 

I am learning to play the long game.

• Posted

Hi i think you can sleep in any position you find comfy but dont sleep on your back with a pillow of any thing under your knee its not good as it can lead to you not being able to get the leg totaly stright good luck
  • Posted

Hi there NZJENNI and welcome to the world of TKR. 

As far as Im concerned (2 x TKR within 7 months) sleep is such a valuable yet hard-to-come-by thing, that as long as youre (relatively) comfortable, then sleep in whatever position you can! Youre not going to damage the prosthesis, that sucker is well stuck in! 

If you find that youre not getting good runs of sleep, and to be honest most of us are familiar with THAT scenario, then NAP. Nap nap nap then nap some more. Napping can be your saviour, as your body is only going to heal effectively if its well rested (and well hydrated, remember to keep up with the fluid intake). Some people find it a bit of a mental hurdle, as most of us are used to life at 100 miles an hour, but really, kick back, rest, do your exercises (sorry, no cutting slack there), rest, drink some water, rest, repeat.....you get the idea.  And no, it doenst sound odd to me - is some ways coming out of hospital with a new knee is like coming home with a new baby - what do I do with it, is it ok, am I going to hurt it? Im guessing that us veterans of TKR asked exactly the same quesions at the start of our journeys.

Good luck with your recovery, and come talk to us if/when you need some support. 

And congratulations by the way - 5 days out and youre online, putting together sentences, using punctuation and everything - thats some achievement in the early days, trust me!! cheesygrin

Be kind to yourself 

Terri xx

• Posted

Thank you Terri for the warm welcome  and the much needed reality check smile  Where do I sign up for over achievers anonymous ?

I in fact feel more like the new baby and a grumpy one at that...

Mentally I am on a roller coaster and not enjoying the ride but following the plan and taking it slow - playing the long game - will help ease my guilt over having my man slave doing everything after 43 years of me being the domestic goddess I am haha.

At 63 I have lived with a dodgy knee since I did the ACL at age 14. have had 2 repairs in the last 15 years to get rid of meniscus tears etc so am looking forward to the next 50 years being free of always considering how I move my knee to prevent it dislocating. I have managed to have an extremely active life horse riding, tramping, working on farms etc so this should be a doddle. smile

Great forum folks. All the best.

Jenni.

• Posted

If nothing else, this surgery tesches you humility.
    • Posted

Humility...YES! That is for SURE!

Needing help to even MOVE the leg let alone sit on the edge of the bed. Needing THREE PEOPLE to walk me to the bathroom that next day after surgery...not to mention the BEDPAN every twenty minutes to half hour that first night after surgery!

It sure puts pretty much everything in perspective!

I have to say that yesterday as I was DANCING for HOURS at our youngest son's wedding, I was moved to tears with how GRATEFUL I felt being able to DANCE like a normal person after SO MANY years of difficulty just walking a short distance, not to mention enduring horrendous pain when standing for even a short while!

I am SO thankful that I DID humble myself and forge ahead with my two TKR surgeries last year! Being able to dance and thoroughly ENJOY doing it without terrible pain truly was AMAZING!

Wishing everyone here the joy of reaching YOUR goals, too!🙌😁😊🙌

• Posted

Not sure I told you but 3 weeks ago my wife took a Parkinson's type fall (backwards) while trying to enjoy a little fresh air early in the morning. Sh broke a hip and wound up with a partial hip replacement. Unbeknownst to anyone, she was already in the beginning stages of a urinary track infection and the catheter just propelled it into orbit. She is in a very nice private room, 3 hr a day therapy type facility but the one drawback is it isn't staffed anywhere close to the hospital level. Getting to the bathroom when nature calls is very difficult. Its led to the need for a lot of clothes. She's been on meds for 2 or 3 days now and its much better. The anesthesia really muddled her mind and along with some early Parkinson's related dimentia and escalated depression and anxiety, its not been a fun few weeks. Shell be here a couple more weeks and hopefully ill be able to bring her home. This was the 2nd fall in sux weeks weeks and both of them resulted in blows to the back/side of the head on very hard surfaces. 1st one the hardwood floor in the kitchen and the second one on cement. No internal bleeding but possible light concussion. An old body can't handle much of that type trauma. The PHR is healing beautifully and that recovery is coming along great.

Football season starts....almost time to think about snow in your part of the world.

Congrats on the wedding and all the joys that go with it.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about all the troubles your dear wife has had to deal with recently! Falls are SO scary! So much danger occurring so quickly!

Glad to hear that her PHR is healing well.

Sending prayers to her tonight and prayers for you, too.

Yes, we are already having cooler temperatures! I'd like to have the snow hold off for awhile. My tomatoes are coming in well, and I'd rather let them ripen on the vine. Currently winning the battle against our resident groundhog who I call "Gary".

Thanks for you kind words about the wedding! It was 160 individuals who really knew how to party! Even the DJs complimented us on a consistently packed dance floor! A very happy day!

• Posted

Cheryl,

Wonderful to hear about your dancing at son's wedding! Congrats! How far out are you with new knees? I'm 10 weeks today with my double TKRs. Still lots of icing, resting, and being kind to myself. Getting off the opioids one week ago gave me my mental life back!

At my son's wedding on June 4, I barely swayed disguising my dancing as we did the mother/son dance, and then I enviously watched everyone else really dance while I sat on the sidelines with my painful knees! I'm looking forward to dancing, and going to party in 2 weeks, but still feel nervous about dancing.

Ann

• Posted

Hi Ann!

Congratulations on your son getting married! It is such a good feeling to see our "little boys" happy with a lovely life partner!

I am sorry that your painful knees made the happy day more challenging. Pain is something I know too well!

My first TKR was last June, and my one year anniversary of my other TKR is coming up October 9th.

You should be fine with dancing! Of course DO take it easy on any jumping up and down. Our dance floor was filled with twenty and thirty year olds hopping and jumping. I DID NOT try to compete but did my own thing which was satisfactory for a 65 year old with two knee replacements!😁

I know what you mean about the opioids! I had to leave them after two weeks because they were making me quite LOOPY and they didn't help my pain or swelling very much either. After I was done giving myself my blood thinner shots after two weeks ( YEA!!!🙌😊😁🙌wink, I began Ibuprofen. MUCH BETTER pain relief and better help with my swelling, too!

Here's wishing you continued success in your healing! Stay in touch, OK?💟

• Posted

Hi jenni

i found it impossible to sleep on my back and my pt said it was fine to sleep on my side

this is my way of doing it

lay on the opposite side to your operated leg with your non operated leg underneath. 

Then put you operated leg over the top with a slight bend in the knee 

it is like the 'recovery position' 

then put a really soft pillow under the operated knee 

I have slept like this since getting home from hospital. It has not affected my bend or my straightening of the knee at all   I am now 10 weeks post op and have been sleeping right through the night for about 6 weeks now 

hope this helps x 

• Posted

Hi Gillian .. I only started sleeping like that at about 7mths operated knee was just too and is too swollen but I can now at 11mths sleep without a pillow .. don't know about you but my knee is stiff as for the first couple of hours of the day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.