Post Op Urinary problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on 3 weeks post op sigmoid colectomy surgery.  During my 6 days in the hospital I had a cathedor. I was released with vicoden (for spasms ) & Norco.  I have no issue with going #2, but #1 has me concerned.  Almost like I have a UTI but no infection.  Strong urge to go,  hardly anything comes out and it's like being blocked.  As the day goes on it gets better.  It's nights that have me concerned. I am up at least 4 times where before I could sleep all night. From what I understand that is what the Vicoden is for to stop the spasms.  Does anyone know how long it takes for the swelling to go down so I can stop taking Vicoden? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wish I could help Glenda. I think we've had different surgeries. 6 days is a long time to have catheter in . I had mine out next day, however I do feel uncomfortable when I wee sometimes. Maybe ring your surgeons  office? Hope you get this resolved . 

• Posted

Hi Glenda,

Did the surgeon tell you if the bowel was attached to the bladder? It may take along time to heal! However if you are having burning or feel like you are not emptying completely you should have a culture done. The longer you have the catheter in the risk goes up for infection. Vicodin and Norco are both for pain check with your Dr if you should be taking both.

If you are drinking a lot of water as the Dr ordered that could be the reason  for getting up at night.

Kate

• Posted

Good point there, infections are notorious after catheterisation . My inflammatory mass ( called a phlegmon) was stuck to my bladder and I still have discomfort. But it's getting better . 

• Posted

It took me several weeks for the bladder twinges and lower back pain to go away!  And I didn’t have bladder involvement. Everyday is a new day with healing!

Kate

• Posted

I am the same. Still back pain 4 weeks down the track but much better. My main problem now is nausea and pain sometimes at iliostomy site.
    • Posted

I had nausea too but not the kind that comes from the stomach it was in my throat. That was weird! Hang in there . Sometimes it’s two steps forward and one back! But it gets much better

Kate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.