Post open sigmoid colectomy pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Approximately I'm about 8 weeks post surgery. The incision pain is pretty much gone, now I'm getting muscle pain like Charlie horses in the muscles surrounding the incision, is this normal? Still having to take 1 painkiller a day, exercise (walking only) everyday after eating and keep myself busy during the day. Being extra cautious though from lifting and bending. Still have to wear the binder, not all the time though. How long does it take the cut muscles and nerves to completely heal? Actually been able to eat foods (in small moderation) I haven't had in 2 years with no repercussions which is wonderful. My main question is for open cut patients, how long did you have to be on painkillers.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had mine done 7 days ago no painkillers needed
    • Posted

Did you do lapriscopic or open? They did mine open because of the multiple attacks and family history of colon cancer for which I'm in the clear, thank God. However when he opened me up there was so much (not to be gross) ,pus, blood, infection which had also inflamed and infected my surrounding organs. Basically had to flush out my insides before he could proceed with the colon resection. I was put on major antibiotics and drains for the whole 6 days I was in the hospital, hence the painkillers. But am feeling so much better and now I'm having to look for a smaller waist binder because the swelling is going down.

• Posted

I’m so glad your feeling better. GOD is good. Yes they started laparoscopic but ended up opening me up. What’s a waist binder? And did you deal with constipation at first how did you deal with that?
    • Posted

Wow, you hit the jackpot with both. Everyone I know that has gone through any kind of abdominal surgery has a waist binder put on them right after surgery. It holds the cut & stitched muscles and nerves together until they heal. It's recommended to wear at home during the healing process but give it a break once in a while so your other muscles don't become dependent on it. At first my incision site hurt, now that's gone but any wrong move and you pull your newly stitched muscles and that's where the waist binder comes in handy.

• Posted

As to constipation I used milk of magnesium. Because of extensive scarring and blockage I was both. Weight should really be piling off because even baby food triggered attacks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.