Post operation for partial knee replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi i am 12 weeks post operation for partial knee replacement it is still stiff mostly at night or when I have been sat down, has anyone else going through this it is driving me nuts.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh I am 22 weeks still ziff heat bend at 125 but still siff. I figure it is just going to take time, hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Susan!  I am needing a partial knee replacement as well.  Right Medial needs be be replaced.  Overall, are you glad you did it?  How was your first 2 weeks post-op?  So glad someone is sharing regarding a PKR.  A lot of post are regarding TKR.  I am trying to mentally prepare before I schedule it.  Thank you!
    • Posted

Hi Holly , i was only in hospital 2 days and i was able to get up and down the stairs in a fashion. The physio i only saw 3 times which I don't think is enough. .I was out walking after about a week a few doors up and down then increasing each day. I was the only one on the ward having a partial so could not compare.I need my other one doing as well. It is just the tightness. I have done the exercises religiously. Do hope you get on ok.Keep intouch x

• Posted

Hi Susan, I have had a partial knee replacement. The kneecap replacement. It's been almost 1 year. I was dealing with a lot of stiffness and pain at night. It would wake me up and I was almost in tears. Yes sitting for a while I would get stuff and feel like I was using my arms more to pull myself up. Even sitting on the toilet was very painful. I started having problems when my knee gave out on me and I fell. I just recently had a scope some and found out I had a lot of scar tissue, damaged my medial articulate cartilage and wore a big spot of my bone down. I haven't had my follow up for my surgery yet. They are talking about doing a bio joint with cadaver cartilage. I think some people have good outcome with these replacements and some don't from some of these stories I hear. I was having a lot of grinding, popping and snapping. Stiffness and swelling is still a issue for me. My Dr had told me previously that this was all normal. I didn't believe it because it was so painful. Physical rehabilitation is key to progressing with this. It's not a easy recovery and it does take a long time. So be patient and make sure to discuss with your Dr about your concerns. I hope I could help you a little bit. Thanks, Tina

• Posted

Thanks Tina I have been the same sorry but it is good to hear that someone has the same problems. Thought it was just me, I need the other doing as well. Chin up chick. Sue
  • Posted

Hi Susan, I have had a partial knee replacement. The kneecap replacement. It's been almost 1 year. I was dealing with a lot of stiffness and pain at night. It would wake me up and I was almost in tears. Yes sitting for a while I would get stuff and feel like I was using my arms more to pull myself up. Even sitting on the toilet was very painful. I started having problems when my knee gave out on me and I fell. I just recently had a scope some and found out I had a lot of scar tissue, damaged my medial articulate cartilage and wore a big spot of my bone down. I haven't had my follow up for my surgery yet. They are talking about doing a bio joint with cadaver cartilage. I think some people have good outcome with these replacements and some don't from some of these stories I hear. I was having a lot of grinding, popping and snapping. Stiffness and swelling is still a issue for me. My Dr had told me previously that this was all normal. I didn't believe it because it was so painful. Physical rehabilitation is key to progressing with this. It's not a easy recovery and it does take a long time. So be patient and make sure to discuss with your Dr about your concerns. I hope I could help you a little bit. Thanks, Tina

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post bilateral knees and I'm stiff at night and usually end up being stiff (that band/like feeling) after a PT session and over exertion.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I had bilateral pkr 16wks out. Driving at 4wks. Walk 2miles now. In the last 3-4 weeks i started getting pain in left leg around incision and replacement. Xray said all parts were good. Turns out, as my flexibility inctreased , over 130, i am into ANOTHER layer of scar tissue. The sutures that were done deep inside. They are grabbing onto tissue and shifting the glide of my kneecap causing crunch and mild swelling.

I went back to PT, the same guy that helped me break up all the initiall scar tissue and get my mobility off the charts, and he worked on it yesterday. Other than generic tenderness and swelling from manipulation yesterday, and 80% improved this am, way better. I will have to go a few more times. I can only handle so much at a time!

Its just proof that no matter how far along we think we are, there is always something new that pops up in this first year. Keep up the positive attitude as pain and "what now?" wants to drag us all down.

I keep up on my exercises but allow one day off a week. Im still move but no floor exercises. I am truly hoping the stiffness isnt forever. But it beats the pain!

Hope this helps

smile

• Posted

Hi Susan - I am 7 week post op TKR. My consultant has told me it takes a full year for your knee to fully recover, and knee may swell up at times up to 6 months post op.  I think it very normal to feel stiffness at night time or after sitting down, at nighttime your knee may have swelled after being on it during day. Of course its always wise to seek professional advice if you have a problem, as people on here can only give their own experiences etc.Good luck with your recovery. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.