Post operation, ovarian dermoid cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All, around the start of March I started to get outrageous pain on my right side (lower abdomen) and lower back around my kidneys. I got rushed into a&e to find out I had an ovarian cyst, I got scanned in the morning and they confirmed a dermoid cyst measuring at 10cmon my right ovary. I was heart broken being 25 I thought of the worst and thought I couldn't have kids. They operated on March 21st to remove the cyst, they had to remove my right ovary as it was strangled by the cyst. The last few months I've struggled to come to terms with things and my emotions were all over the place!

11 weeks since the op and I'm still having pains and cramps has anyone else suffered with after pains? I've been told these can be phantom pains but all I can think about is my other ovary... Can anyone help? 

Stacey x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey

Hope you are ok I had surgery 4 weeks ago and I had my right ovary removed being a similar size to yours...

I know what you are talking about with emotions it's such a roller coaster and you think it's never going to stop...

I still get pains but I was told it takes your body a good while to get back to normal

So hang on in there as im doing the same

Love louise xxx

• Posted

Hi Louise smile how did your surgery go? Was you in a lot of pain after? I had to stay in hospital 2 nights after because they were worried of my bladder flow it wasn't enough. Even though I thought I was weeping enough they told me I was still full which made me a little upset because I felt  I wasn't in control... 

The he emotions are crazy luckily my boyfriend has been my rock through everything and has stood by me because I think I would've had a melt down. With all the information they give you in such little time it's like woahhh! 

Im getting pains in my lower back by kidneys and around my stomach, it's like the pain of really bad period pains but it's not ? Ohh and also Ibe been off my pill now about a month or so and still haven't had a bleed? 

Hope your well 

love Stacey xxx

• Posted

Hi Stacey

Surgery seemed to of went well they removed my cysts ovary and tube the pain after was terrible but I got through it... I didn't sleep very well last night as I was uncomfortable I also have a urine infection.

It really does get to you sometimes my stomach is still really bloated did yours go down...

That's really good your boyfriend has been your rock as you really do need support to help you through this..

Love louise xx

• Posted

Morning Louise smile 

ahhh glad surgery went well... Did you have more than one cyst? Was it on the same ovary? Sorry for all the questions... Me either maybe it's one of the after effects, not sleeping well. This is the first night in ages that I was doubled over in pain sad had to dose myself up to get through the night! 

What pain relief are you taking ? If it really gets too much go to your gp and get stronger tablets ... Don't suffer in silence! I'm doing back tomorrow because I've totally had enough I thought my body would've been back to normal by now. But all its done is have a constant pain and me worrying about my other ovary sad I keep having dreams! Are you experiencing these or have done ? 

my stomach is still a little hard and sometimes feels too tight but that's every now and again that happens sad 

booo on sucks to be a woman sometimes lol all the stuff we go through xxx

love Stacey xx

• Posted

Morning Stacey

Ask away I don't mind at all..

I had one large ovary it was 11 x 10 x 10 mine had twisted and caused me awful pain.. It was my right ovary my left one is okay.

I'm taking paracetamol but have codeine to take if it gets really bad.

I stayed in hospital for 3 nights after surgery as my scar is pretty big.

I'm definately not sleeping at all its so annoying and exhausting.

Mine feels tight aswell I was telling my mum that yesterday feels like it's ready to burst..

Are you still bloated?

I sometimes have dreams and jumped a couple of times and hurt myself.... I also think about the day going down for surgery and it freaks me out a bit...

Hate being a woman lol 😀

Love louise xx

• Posted

Blimey yeh mine had twisted as well they tried to see if my ovary would regain any blood flow but they said it wasn't successful so the opted in taking my right ovary out! Is it fair to say I feel a little empty and feel less of a woman ? Or is that a silly thing to say ? Did the docs say about your chances of conceiving?

I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen atm but sometimes they don't even take the pain away sad 

did you not have keyhole? I've 3 scars, belly button one on my left side and one just above public area that's the one that's about 2 inches wide and that's the one that took the longest to heal...

pit defiantly is tiring it gets you down too because you finally think Hohhot it's a good day and then bang you've got stomach pain! 

The bloating has gone down but sometimes my belly feels so swollen and sore plus I can't eat as much as I was still... Like I have good and bad days where literally the pain is minimal and my tummy is tight but not uncomfortable, then somedays it's like well hello pain and bloating nice to see you too rolleyes 

did you walk down to surgery? I was luckily first on the list for the op so I didn't have to wait that long but I was so anxious of what was to come! I was very emotional that day lets just say that felt like a baby smile 

how are you feeling today? 

Love stacey xxxx

• Posted

Hi

They couldn't do keyhole as he didn't know what to expect when he opened me up but everything was fine.. my scar is bikini cut and it's about 10 inches long the bloating really does get to me as I feel they took the big cysts out and I'm really fat and I have lost 10lb and I would normally be pretty slim..

I'm shattered today as I didn't sleep at all doesn't help when your partner snores lol

I was really anxious going for surgery the brought me down in the bed I still am anxious because um thinking to much about it all just need to switch off...

Doesn't help that the weather is lovely and everyone is out in summer gear 😢 and I fell like a frump..

Was told I'm still able to concieve with one ovary but might be a bit harder

How you feeling today

Love louise xx

• Posted

I am a very anxious person too when it comes to health.

I feel okay today just still having aches but nothing that I need to take pain killers for.

I have put on weight since my op but I have been doing lots of walking & I have been back out on my bike again and I'm feeling better for doing that.

I hope your feeling better soon

Louise x x

• Posted

Hey Louise sorry for the late reply been stupidly busy at work ...ohhhh blimey they cut you open then sad did it heal quickly? See my one on my bikini line didn't heal very well the dissolvable stitches took nearly 4 weeks to come out! Hahaha yeh I know what you mean with the snoring my boyfriends the same, been in agony today sad really taken its toll on me... I fee exactly the same not comfortable with my body atm at all which isn't me, I'm a curvy girl and I'm normally comfortable and don't care what people think but since the op I've been so conscious.... 

Hope your days been ok ☺️ 

Love stacey xxxx

• Posted

Morning Stacey

Good for you being back to work... I can't go back yet as im a taxi driver and I can't drive for 6 weeks which will be in another 2 thank god...

Yes mine is healing okay just feeling tight.

Yesterday didn't feel good as I had my first migraine from I had the op which I'm still suffering the headache..

I have to say I have met some lovely women on this and when I was in hospital the support has been fantastic.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Love louise xx

• Posted

Hey Louise sorry for the late reply... How are you feeling today ?yeh I'm ok still in a bit of pain but went to the docs got to do a ursine test to rule out some things but other than that if anything pops up he will out me through for a scan! Yeh I was just saying to Liam about how nice everyone is on here and how supporting and reassuring everyone is smile thank you for being there and making me feel positive xxx

love Stacey xxx

• Posted

Hello Stacey

I had laparoscopic surgery 3 weeks ago to remove a 6cm dermoid cyst, they did manage to save my right ovary, but I have 4 incision scars as apparently the cyst was difficult to get out. I initially had to be kept in hospital due to vomiting & not passing urine but that all settled that night after the op. I was very sore to start with but the pain killers helped. I also had problems with nausea, bloating & shoulder tip pain but that is beginning to ease of now and I'm beginning to get back to normal. Also I got my pathology results back yesterday and no cancerous cells were detected which I am very relieved about. I still get pelvic pain like period pains I thought they would go away after having the cyst out but they have not.

You are 11 weeks post op and still having pains if I were you I would contact your surgeons secretary to organise you an outpatients appointment and also go see your GP.

Please don't worry about having your right ovary removed as you still have your left be positive. I have had a few friends who have had ectopic pregnancies and had to get their tube removed but still managed to get pregnant afterwards.

I hope this helps

Louise x

• Posted

Hey Louise 

hope your ok, I found it hard even before the op as I couldn't quite deal with what they were telling me ! Think I was in disbelief and had negative thoughts from the start... 

Yeh I had the shoulder pain for the first night I was kept in for 2 nights because I couldn't pass urine fully! So every time I had a toilet I had to ring the buzzer so the could bladder scan me. I also had my results back and thankfully they were all clear! How are you feeling now ? Did you have dissolvable stitches? 

Yeh it's bad because I can go a day or 2 without minimal pain but then out of the blue I can be in pain with cramps and sharps pain in my stomach. Just totally fed up with it now, I've got a doctors appointment with my GP tomorrow afternoon so shall see what he has to say about it...! Just slightly worried it's going to bad news because I went back to work 2 weeks after my operation maybe that's taken toll ? I've just got a brain that works overtime, I admit I'm a negative thinker atm because everything has been bad news sad

I got told that I would lose 30% which I thought was strange considering you've only got 2 ovaries and you'd think it would be 50/50 but hey ho ... 

Hope me your well today 

Stacey xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.