Post operative back pain mainly on uttocks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a male  physician 54 years old, working in Saudi Arabia, I have morbid obesity.

My BMI was 48 with BW of 160 KG.

I did intestinal by- pass operation 2 weeks ago in Cairo - Egypt.

I had previous operation of Gastric Sleeve on 2008.

Due to this , I have abdominal adhesions which lead to prolonged time of the last operation to dissect these adhesions up to 6-7 Hours in OR.

After the latest surgery ,I not have any Abdominal problems but I develop severe Bilateral Buttocks pain most probably due to the prolonged recumbency in the OR theater.

Still after 2 weeks post-Operative, I did not find any improvements in my symptoms despite regular analgesics and muscle relaxants.

The skin of the Buttocks is heavy, swollen, numbness and tender especially when I sit down.

When I lie down on my back, I feel as if there are a big bag of water under my hips.

Please try to give me an advice about what is going on and how I can get rid of this pain.

Is it Fat necrosis?

If you have no experience in this problem, please direct me to someone who can help me.

I really feel very bad with this pain and my mobility is so much restricted due to that pain.

Thank you very much

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well in a sense I can relate to the scar tissue. When I was 35 I had to have a hysterectomy and it was because of all the scar tissue (from a C-section) and endometriosis that was inside. I got a lot of pulls when I moved but never back pain.

Now for the last 11 years I have been suffering from lower back pain. I too am morbidly obese so I can understand some of what you're going through . I thought once or twice but I'm too sickly to have surgery like this. I believe that you may be experiencing a pinched nerve and that's what's hurting. And like you said laying on one of those hard surgical beds while they operate on you can do it. I would highly recommend you see a physical therapist because they will show you exercises that you can do to help with the pain and the pinched nerve. And another thing, I don't know if you can get it in Egypt but you might want to try either Gabapentin (Neurontin) or pregablin (Lyrica). Both are commonly used to treat nerve pain. And although you are a surgeon I just want to remind you that if you try either of these two do not stop them cold turkey. You must taper off of them. I wish you luck.

BTW my husband used to live in Cairo when he was a child. His parents are from Kansas in the US but they had been transferred to Cairo. I believe they lived there for 5 years. But this was back in the '60s and I'm sure a lot of things have changed since then. But he is told me lots of stories about his time there.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your opinion and help.
  • Posted

I really don't know whats going on with you, but I will say a prayer for you and leave it in GODs hands for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.