Post operative depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement about 7 weeks ago and while I am doing well physically in my recovery I find myself becoming more and more depressed to the point where it is affecting my daily life and sleep is almost impossible even with Ambien that has been prescribed.Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I had a hip replacement 8 weeks ago. My mood is up and down, some days are good and others I feel really down about the restrictions it has put in me.

I find the best thing to do when I am down is to see friends and take my mind off it all.

I don't know what caused you to need a knee replacement, but try to look at the positives if the operation being over. Before my hip replacement I was in a lot of pain, due to bone rubbing on bone and on a cocktail of painkillers and other medication

Now I am just in sleeping tablets. I would rather be in no medication, but to get rid of all the painkillers is a big improvement. I am also walking with just a stick, having been on crutches for over seven months.

I know that a knee replacement is a major operation, like having a hip done. It does get better. It is now a time to be patient and rest as needed. You aren't in a race with anyone else.

Do you have anyone who can come and visit you or take you out for a bit?

• Posted

Hello Adam, thanks for your input. I am 61 years old and had a right total knee . My pain is almost non-existent and PT is going well. This depression is overwhelming. I went back to work this week and I put on the happy face for everyone and I have been social and active since the surgery almost 7 weeks ago. This is just overwhelming since I have never experienced this before. I take no pain meds and my MD put me on an antidepressant and Ambien but nights are still sleepless. Seeing my MD again next week.
    • Posted

A good part of it may be down to lack of sleep, so a period on sleeping tablets may help, as long as your Dr agrees.

I was also told that diet plays a big part in it and to not drink much alcohol and keep the amount of caffeine down. That also helps with being able to sleep.

You are not alone in the way you feel. It seems to be quite common after this sort of major surgery. I am sure it will improve, but at the moment it is finding out what the trigger is for you.

• Posted

I definitely agree about the caffeine intake! So I have always stayed with decaf. I guess I never realized how much a good nights sleep means until you don't get one! Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

• Posted

No problem. Just rest when you can, I still have a lie down some afternoons.
    • Posted

Just got up for the day and enjoying my morning cup of tea....just going to try and keep moving forward...and naps are a blessing when I get one!
  • Posted

I had this problem many years ago, post open depression. If possible do not go on antidepressants, certainly if you have to make sure it is one with a long half life

Do not get put on a short half life, especially paroxetine. I am stuck with this and would not want my worst enemy to be on it. I have been on it for 20 years and thought it wonderful at the time, but now know it is a devil to alter dosages.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.