Post-operative pain Discemtomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all.

First day home after a Bilareral L5/S1 Decompression and Discemtomy.

And wow the pain this morning was something like I had never felt.

Someone please tell me this will go in a few days...  lol

I suppose just looking for a bit of re-assurance that it’s normal

I have been given:

Paracetamol

Ibuprofen

Codeine Phosphate

Tramadol

And of cause lactulose to stop me exploding cheesygrin

Trying to take a mix every two hours to keep the pain at bay.

Anyone have any experience and found any other relief.

Thanks,

Mike

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I went back to the surgeon the other week, he looked at the XRays (why are X Rays better than MRIS but here they seem to look at XRays more than MRIS) Also I know he was pushed, he said Mmmm well I think that an operation would be very dangerous and like a clot, I said, because of scar tissue and he said yes. I wish I hadn't opened my mouth now. However, he gave me a sheet to go to the pain clinic and I have it open that i can go back to him if I need him. Well I do.  Are they saying that old folk live until they are in their 80s, well I can't go that far with my meds.  I am OK sitting down but walking I wish sometimes that someone would come down from the sky and lift me up and take me to the car park lol.

I have just been reading about scar tissue on Spine Health which is now the only web site I read and it can't be scar tissue and believe that the previous surgeon didn't do his job properly. What could/can I do, I paid £7,000 up front for him to decompress L3/4 and L4/5 (the usual ones) and now they say that the S1 is damaged and prolapsed too which is a b**** because thats a bad level and thats why I cut in.

I had a consultation with a private surgeon - the operation would be to fuse (20,000€) and he said there would be no problem and I wouldn't have any pain at all.  So what do i do?????

I think surgeons and fusion have come a long way since I left England 5 years ago and anyone having fusion now seem not to have any previous ops and they all seem to be successful. I wouldn't care how much I had pain after an op if I was going to be OK and to be truthful I have a 6 inch scar down my back and I was NEVER in pain but looks like he didn't do his job properly - no names!!! He didn't ask me for X Rays/MRIs at the time of the op which now I think was a mistake.

So I await the Pain Clinic which I don't think much of either, but thats another story.

I am glad that you have had your op, and I hope that you are up and on your feet and feeling better and that the op has been successful. I tried to look at the X Ray but can't see very well.  What was it? a spur?   If it was, I have spurs and they just grow again - its my genetic make up. My mother had the same problem and my daughter too....

Who did you op or don't you want to say....

• Posted

Hi Twitch , how has your recovery been, hopefully your not in too much pain now, I have been back in work and had to leave early today, I havr had alot of pain in my back( swapping one pain for another ) an egg size lump keeps rising up over the scar site on my spine it has been very painful, I have taken tylex but they don't work as these have been my pain meds for yhe last 4/5 year's not consecutively ...had physio appointment for tomorrow but they just ranh an cancelled, I'm going to try cobtact my surgeon tomorrow hopefully get some answers

• Posted

Hello,

Well nearly 7 month’s post op, and after countless hydro/physio sessions and trying all sorts of pain relive. My consultant has agreed to another MRI.

The pain is back with a vengeance, can hardly sit down from about 7pm.

Spending most of the day stood up and the evening lying down...

If it has slipped again I am going to ask/demand? fusion as really had enough now.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.