Post opp- Because of UC

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted a message in FEB 2010 asking people there thoughts on surgery, since then i have had my whole bowel removed an an illeostomy put in place. I only had it done a week from today and its the best thing ive ever done (never thought i would be saying that!!!).

I was told at the age of 15 that i would eventually need surgery as my whole bowel was badly inflamed and no matter how many times or IV steroids ive had it just hasnt settled down. I am now 19.

Ive tried every tablet you can think of, asacol, balzalazide, meziavant, steroids, metrcaptourprine, azathapoprhine, IV infiliximab and many more. All which you know with terrible side effects!!!

At first i was really against it i still was when i went for the opperation, but i still went through with it because i wanted a better quality of life, since the longest id been without a flare up was 5 months in the whole 5 years of beeing diagnosesd.

So i guess what im trying to say is if your not enjoying life because of your UC or crohns to go for the surgery, its not the end of the world having a bag which by the way is smaller than what i thought it would be.

Hope people who are having a tough time with their condition consider this option.

Thanks for reading

If anybody considering surgery and wants someone to talk to about it just send me a messageill be happy to reply. Im a 19 year old female with an Ileostomy and about to start enjoying life!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kath,

I just wanted to say 'Good for you'

I may be facing UC, but at 56 you start to expect things to go wrong. Your positivity is an inspiration. I, for one, feel better having read your post.

Have a great life!

Adrian J

• Posted

Hi Adrian J

Thank you so much for your comment, it really means alot. I hope things go well for you.

Stay positive!

Katherine =]

• Posted

Hi all, i had mild uc for many years going back to 1986, I had two hospital stays in the to years after. Then i was clear untill november 2001, by december i was back in hospital, two week later i was told i had not responded to any treatment and they were going to operate, only to find my large bowel had most of it missing, i then had a illeostomy that as december 14th 2001. I came out of hospital at 4 30 on christmas eve. I went back to hospital in the may to have the rest removed, so i have now had the bag for 10 years this december. So to katherine and adrian life does not stop just because you have a bag. Look at what is in front of you and look to the many years to come. al
  • Posted

Hi

Ive been havin experiences of UC since i had my second daughter in September and it was confirmed only a few weeks ago (well UC borderline Crohns) they have put me on some tablets but this past week i have had a flare up and i couldnt cope!! i have two girls 3 years and 9 months and its such a struggle looking after them and having this disease, my partner is so good but he has to work and cant keep takiing time off and im so scared that one day im going to get caught out and something bad will happen to the girls as i cant keep them locked in the toliet with me :0(

How long do these flare ups last, no one has spoken to me about it, i have had to research it all through the internet on diets etc and some people have commented that flare ups can last months!! is this true, please some one help as im so lost!!

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.