Post ORIF after plaster removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a bimalleolar fracture 6 weeks ago with ORIF to repair. Now six weeks after surgery my cast has been removed. By the end of each day the foot is purple and swollen which dies down again over night whilst it is elevated. So each morning it looks ok again. However I am worried that after my cast removal I still cannot move the joint barely at all and cannot stand on the foot. I am trying to exercise the ankle joint but don’t see much movement at all. It does not flex enough to allow me stand on the floor on two legs even with crutches. How long will this take does anyone know? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was just taken out of a cast last week after surgery for a trimalleolar fracture and dislocation on December 22. I started physical therapy immediately to help with my movement. I'm only allowed to weight bear and walk when wearing my air boot. Keep practicing range of motion and it should all come back, but it may take weeks. From what I understand though it's completely normal.

• Posted

Everything you are experiencing is perfectly normal.  Your foot will remain swollen for quite a long time, up to 9 months as my doctor warmed me right away so I wouldn't keep asking him about it.  I had a bimalleolar fracture with ORIF to repair as well.  I started PT as soon as I could, about 6 - 7 weeks after surgery and it was absolutely necessary to learn how to exercise and how far I could push myself.  You need to start that right away to loosen up the ankle otherwise it gets harder to recover.  I also elevated and iced every night.  It will recover over time, just not as fast as we would like.

• Posted

The swelling and the color is totally normal, with me this gradually got better but it did take a few months. Are you in a boot? This helps so much when the cast comes off. I also started physical therapy as soon as my cast came off. It is so important to exercise your foot a lot to help get rid of the fluids in your foot. I hope you are in therapy, mine was a godsend. Be patient it takes a long time to recover from this.
  • Posted

Are you supposed to be standing and bearing weight on it yet? I'm only just about week 5 so I don't know. I know when I'm up too much, my foot is swollen and reddish purple, but after elevating it again for several hours it returns to normal. I don't have a lot of movement either, I can move it slightly back and forth but its not much. I think its pretty normal at this stage and Ill get movement back after I start physical therapy.

?I also had bimalleolar fracture with surgery and my dr said it will be 10-12 weeks before I'm walking normally. The waiting is so hard. I just want my life back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.