Post pacemaker pneumothorax

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had to have air drained from my chest cavity on Saturday after Fridays pacemaker fitting. The same pain came back yesterday and has worsened over night so I am about to contact the ward where it was done. Any others been as unfortunate?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi derek. So sorry to hear your problem. I have had a bi ventricular pace maker fitted 4 years ago and have been having fluid problems but don.t thinl its the same as yours. My cardio. Consultant has only this last year sent me for a test where they use a camera and found I have a Haitis Ernia which I am sure was caused by damage fitting the pace makers leads. Anyhow hope things go ok for you .M.
    • Posted

This was air trapped in the chest cavity. Then when I stood as instructed to move around to displace the air the tube filled with blood.

The hiatus hernia would not be caused by that.  

• Posted

Hello Derek as I have mentioned I had my pacemaker fitted on 3rd June and I have not had any problems. I had my six week check last week and all is fine. On Tuesday I am having a sinus node ablation to finalise my pacemaker function.

I did read and re read your last post and I had hoped you were recovering, but it seems not

I too have had  an Aortic Valve replacement with the discovery of an aneurysim. Then further surgery to drain the fluid. Also similarly when having several 3/7 day monitors my heart too was having 3 second pauses.

I feel relieved to have a pacemaker, especially after 4 failed Cardio Versions and 2 Ablationsand heart failure too. So I understand how you must be feeling with all these things happening to you. I do hope something will be done when you contact your hospital. Take care

• Posted

They said to come to the ward. I saw a young doctor who listened to my chest and said that it sounded OK but ordered an X-Ray. I had arrived there around 11.30 and told that X-Ray said that they could not fit me in until 4.15. The doctor pushed them a bit and it was done at 3.30 by when it was actually beginning to feel a bit better.

She said that the X-Ray looked OK, I could see it on the screen complete with the 'medal' on my chest. She said that I must be suffering from irritation from the previous pneumothorax and if it is not better in four days to go back to them.

Certainly since the pacemaker has been fitted my BP monitor is only showing irregular heart beats about half of the time.

I hope the ablation gives you a good result. Back to the hospital tomorrow for my annual aortic aneurysim ultrasound scan. Last year around 3.6 cm.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.