Post PAE I cant take Ibuprofen

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm scheduled for PAE with Dr Bagla on 9/27 and just got the list of meds I'll be taking post-PAE.

One of them is supposed to be Iburprofen but my Irritable bowel syndrome is acting up and 1800/day of iburprofen will cause me alot of pain and additional bowel inflamations and possibly internal bleeding.

I asked Dr. Bagla about getting something intraveneuously but he said the only alternative would be Celebrex which is not recommended for people with stomach or bowel problems.  Actual the warning says 'may be fatal' if taken while bleeding internally.

I'd like to ask, those of you that have been through PAE, for your thoughts on this.   How bad might the pain be without ibuprofen or celebrex?  Can you suggest anything that might help me?

Thanks

Jeff

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeff - I had a PAE Aug. 9 at UNC and had no pain or discomfort whatsoever but my case may not have been typical. I was given low dose prednisone afterwards for a week. I hear that pain in the first week is a good sign as it indicates the necrosis is proceeding killing tissue. Can you tolerate steroids with IBS? Maybe it could be a substitute. In retrospect I wish I had had some pain as my PAE has not helped my retention. Please let us know how it goes and all the best to you.

Neil

• Posted

Dr. Bagla should, perhaps, have mentioned that the Ibuprofen shrinks your prostate somewhat, and works against any temporary swelling that might happen as a result of the PAE. That said, in your case it could be dangerous. You need to discuss this seriously with him and see exactly what he recommends. Perhaps, in your case, a catheter for a few days, and no Ibuprofen might be the thing. For my PAE, the pain was not bad at all. But please don't just take the Ibuprofen because it's on a piece of paper. Tell him specifically what your problem is with it. You're paying for his expertise, use it.

Neal

• Posted

Thanks Neal,  I had been communicating through his nurse who is very busy.  After I made the above post last night I realized just what you said.  

So I email Dr Bagla with my concerns and got an immediate response.

He said he will give me an intramusclar shot of toradol, a non-sterioidal anti-inflamatory, pain reducer.  

And I'm encouraged by your comment and neil3149's that there might not be much pain.  

I'm staying 4 nights afterward, so I'll have easy access to Dr. Bagla if I have a problem.

• Posted

Please let us know how the procedure goes. I am considering having PAE with Dr Bagla. Thanks and best wishes for a successful outcome.

Rich

• Posted

That's just great. I'm glad you were able to get that straightened out.

My best estimate of the pain is that it is no worse than having a tooth repaired by a dentist WITH anesthesia. It doesn't hurt while it's happening, and your mouth is a little sore afterwards. In this case, of course, it will be your prostate that will be a little sore, but not bad.

I'm looking forward to how it works out for you.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.