Post parathyroid surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am into my fifth month after parathyroid surgery, feeling generally well but still suffering from some tingly fingers at night and a certain amount of muscle ache, chiefly in the legs. I am taking two calcium tablets daily and also vitamin D. I was expecting my symptoms to have gone by now, but is this situation normal? How long should I expect to need the suppliments? My GP is no wiser about this than I am!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My body had tingling, cramping legs, dizziness etc. after the surgery. What I found helped was taking potassium (a must for me), and magnesium, and b vitamins. Especially b12, b6, and folate. I hope this helps!

• Posted

Frances. as far as the aches go, as part of your testing did you have a DEXA scan for osteoporosis?

Secondly tingling might be due to something else like B12 deficiency. IF you have B12 pernicious anaemia you wont benefit from tablets, replacement has to be by injections of B12.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.