Post Parathyroidectomy calcium still high

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had 2 parathyroid adenoms taken out 3 weeks ago. The surgeon did intraoperative testing and my calcium levels weren't lowering after the 1st one was removed so he looked for another one, took it out and calcium was still high. He proceeded to look more and moved a lot around searching for it (vocal cords, wind pipe...). Since he couldn't find the culprit, he sewed me up and said he'd recheck my calcium in a month. My question is- Has anyone had this happen where the surgery wasnt sucessful and what was the next step? I have been getting kidney stones for 2 yrs because of Hyperparathyroidism and can't wait for this to get figured out so i can feel better! Side note- Because of all the exploring that was done, I have difficulty talking, swallowing and breathing !

Thanks for any feedback

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i assume surgeon was checking PTH levels as this is most important Ca lbels take time forany to stabilize

PTH levels are the indicator if you have another adenoma and numbers should change after removal

• Posted

My PTH levels have remained the same as well. Sorry, forgot to mention that part.

• Posted

sounds like you may have another adenoma they neef to get

• Posted

do you know what your calcium and PTH numbers are?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.