Post partial knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had partial knee replacement in right knee on left side in December 17 and have been in constant pain since. Replacement is fab but right side behind the knee has excruciating pain when I stand and sometimes gives way.

I also have numbness on right front of knee. Can you help/advise?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Unless your hercules when you have knee surgery it hurts and it hurts a lot. Whether you have a scope ( which is in my opinion the least painful ) or a total knee pain becomes part of your life. It seems myself included when you deal with pain every day it gets old fast what stinks the pain lasts months and sometimes as in my case years. ( I am a tad different ). The biggest thing to improve recovery time is exercise but do not do it to the point your in agony. Something else to watch out for is infection. Signs of infection skin is very warm almost hot, swelling, redness, fever., and sever pain. It makes no sense but you can have some of these symptoms but no infection. I am 2 yrs post op from a TKR and there are days for no reason I am miserable, when the weather changes, if I walk to far, working in the yard too long. You will get better just be patient.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice - I will keep exercising and will take positives from the op.
  • Posted

This is for everyone. I'm 14 weeks post tkr. I see on here everyone had pain, and most if the response are hang in there it will get better. Some people are 2 years out and they keep saying hang in there it gets better my question is "when". I know everyone is different but it's depressing to think it could be 2 years before it's better.. will it really get pain free? I'm concerned. Thanks.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice - will keep doing what I'm doing and stay positive.

• Posted

I had begun to think my second op was developing problems. Compared to my first op it was. It was as if my left and right legs were not on the same body. My second op leg wouldn’t straighten as well as my first. My bend was the reverse. I could bend my leg to the satisfaction of the Physio at 8 weeks when it was three months with the first op. My bend at 8 weeks was that normally seen at 12 months.

What am I going on about? No two patients are the same and no two ops on the same person are necessarily the same. 

Take one day at a time and excercise. A relative gave up his seemingly unsuccessful excercising and now he cannot kneel down after 3 years.

• Posted

Yes it is depressing even more so when things go wrong. One thing is definite you cannot judge your recovery by anyone else, everyone is different. My Knee saga stinks but fingers crossed hope that maybe this time it will get better. I also try to keep in mind my situation may be bad but there is always someone who has it worse. 
    • Posted

It's so true. Everyone here has had knee surgery, pain after months and years, keep being told you will get better, seems like a fantasy. Was it really then a good idea to get the surgery compared to what you started out with? Also not just post pain, but some with infection.

So, was it worth it?

• Posted

My first TKR (I like the cool abbreviation) was over and done with in 12 months. At 6 months even it was no problem. The key was doing the prescribed excercises. They caused discomfort to the point of pain but waking up most mornings I felt better than I did the day before.

This second op has given me stiffness if I sit with my knees bent for too long, and some continuing swelling.  I don’t remember that from my first op but time can block your memory. Today I have had my best walk yet: a mile around the park with no discomfort.

I have thought this op wasn’t going to be the success of the first but I am being proved wrong as, I would say, most TKR patients are.

Again: excercise then excercise and after that realise your knee has got better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.