Post pleural effusion pain relief, something that is working for me

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have continued to experience pain along one of my right ribs, after having pleural effusion and pneumonia a year and a half ago. Apparently, I also fractured that rib, according to an x-ray. My sister-in-law applies little magnets on pressure points to relieve pain. She did that last week for me. It did seem to relieve the pain considerably. I hope it continues to help. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, just saw that you posted this.  I had pneumonia, with pleural effusion about two months ago.  I feel great, not sick at all, but i have had slight pain on my ribs on that same side.  If I stretch that side, it seems to help.  Thank God i saw your post, i thought i was losing my mind!
  • Posted

Did you have a thorocentesis.  Those are what cause me the most pain, aside from the constant sore back on the side with the pleural effusion.  I'm thinking of trying massage but I don't want to make the coughing any worse.
  • Posted

PLEASE HELP

Hii janni79600 I have my pleural effusion dried up but I have pain in my entire left lung region that's where the effusion was. It has been almost 6 months that my effusion is gone but pain is persisting it's not much but it bothers a lot. I also have burning in my armpit left one whenever I burp. And near diaphragm. It's getting hard for me to bear this burning and pain for so long.

Can you please tell me how did those small magnets worked out for you? Did they clear up the inflammation of the lung and intercostal region ?

Do you still use those magnets at pressure points to relieve from pain? And if not how long did you use those magnets to relieve from pain completely?

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry your getting this pain I feel for you, my pain was unbearable I also have pneumonia pleural effusion. Mine doesn't seem to be as painful now but it won't go away, it's been just over 2 weeks since the first bit was drained but the remainder won't go away, how long did yours take to go? Ben

• Posted

Hi Ben. Drying up of pleural effusion depends on its underlying cause. As long as the pleura stay infected and inflamed the pleural effusion will stay because of the pressure difference because of the inflammation.

My pleural effusion was due to tuberculosis and mine took 5 months to go away. Now it's completely gone and it's been 6 months it hasn't come back.

Also some steroids like Prednisone are also given to dry up the effusion fast. You can check with your doctor if that can be given to you. It ll take some time to go away have patience and let your drugs help you for your underlying cause that is pneumonia. I hope you get well soon Ben.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.