Post Pneumothorax pain in back + shortness of breath

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now 3 weeks post op, I got my chest tube out about 3 weeks ago and got home. I had a few pains here and there as I knew that would be happening. But a few days ago I developed what my regular doctor had told me is called Si? Or side breathing? It feels like I lose my breath and feels like something tugs on my lung for a second and then I’m able to breath again. Along with this happening I also endured a sharp pain in my back/ left side of my chest near the bottom of my ribs. I also feel like I’m short of breath. I went to the ER last night, they got an x ray and said my chest looks fine but that I might have a kidney stone or a blood clot. They tested my urine and took blood to test and they also gave me an ultrasound and they said they didn’t find s blood clot or a kidney stone but that they found a small cyst on my stomach and said that should not be the cause of my pain so I’m very worried and confused because I don’t know what this chest/back pain and shortness of breath could be? I also have a pinched nerve from surgery but was told it shouldn’t be bothering me. I also know you shouldn’t look up symptoms on the internet but I googled my pain and found similar symptoms to ALS and I’m worried I might have it but not sure. Do you think I have ALS? Or is something else wrong with me? I want to know just so I can know my problem and finally fix it 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clifford,

I am no doctor but after my operations for my Double pneumothorax i sometimes get chest discomfort/pain that almost feels like my lung is moving. No idea if that is similar to what you are having but i have also done the same and been to the ER countless times only to be told that i am fine, chest exray, blood tests the lot.

after a day or so these feeling tend to go. (until the next time)

if you are in continuous pain i would say 100% make sure you keep on going to the ER if you can.

if you ever want to talk about this feel free to message me on here.

all the best

owen

• Posted

Thank you so much! Yea that’s kinda what it feels like, I thought I had a collapsed lung again but my surgeon always it’s just post surgery pain but to come back for any needs or if I have shortness of breath. I also found out I still have a small pneumo actually but I don’t need to see my surgeon anymore cause it’s so small. 
    • Posted

Well i am glad to hear that you do not need any operations! that must be a relief. Well i hope the discomfort stops soon and all is well.

its always good when the doctors understand that post op pain is a real b***h and can be legit scary for people who have had bad issues like this.

Feel free to message me if you want somebody to talk to about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.