Post Posterior Tibial, calcaneal osteotomy, and Achilles lengthening surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had surgery 4 weeks ago to repair my posterior tibial tendon, move my heel bone over and lengthen my Achilles. They thought they would have to transfer a tendon but luckily they just repaired my PT tendon. It’s been extremely rough and I was wondering if anyone is had similar issues that I am having. I was in a splint for 3 days, then transitioned to hard cast for 2 weeks (awful), then put in a aircast walking boot. I have two big incisions on each side of my foot, two on my calf and one at the heel where the screws are. I have been so uncomfortable in the boot because I feel like there’s no way I can place my foot that doesn’t irritate an incision. I got a thicket aircast sock to wear but it’s still so extremely sensitive at the incision sites. My outside incision is raising up on the end but it doesn’t seem infected I don’t have any infection signs but not sure why my incision is doing this. Also the back of my Achilles is very red and sensitive as well. Have any of you experienced this? Hopefully there’s a light at the end of the tunnel because not sleeping well is really getting to me 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Happy new year to you, though you sound as happy as I feel! I had my PTT reattached to a excised navicular bone ( removal of accessory navicular bone as well) in September. I was in a cast for over 7 weeks - absolutely grim. I have been in an air boot since. I have non union it's all gone wrong and I hurt so much. The air boot is so much better than the cast please believe me as you can air your wounds. Mine only truly began to heal 3 weeks or so after going into the cast. It will get better please believe me. The boot is my saviour at the moment. It is giving me a bit of freedom. My incisions are still very sensitive. I think you are possibly too early in your recovery but my physio taught me gentle massage to help with the scar tissue. Eat as healthily as you can, take vitamin D and C and drink lots of milk as this will all help your healing. It will gradually improve , I have been so unlucky but even in this situation I see small things each week that are better. For instance my socks are not irritating my scars now. If they look red I massage sudocream into them. Try to elevate your foot as the increased blood flow if it's not up will cause swelling and this pressure your incision sites. Arnica is also supposed to be great? I am taking some homeopathic meds to try to get my bones to unite and wished I had done so sooner. I also wished I had been kinder to myself earlier in my recovery instead of trying to get back to normal. Rest and recuperate, see the boot as so much better than a cast. It will get better. Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response alfies mummy. I’m glad I’m not the only one out there and now feel bad for complaining since you’ve been going through way more than me. I agree the hard cast was awful and I’m thankful to be able to take the boot off for some air but because of my Achilles they don’t want it off very much. Honestly I don’t have much pain except for the incisions, that’s the only reason I take pain meds. Well and to sleep too I have to take medicine. Since you’ve been in a boot for so long any tips on sleeping? It’s chronic tossing and turning my foot every few minutes trying to get comfortable. Thanks for the tips on the incision desensitization too, I think it’s too early for me to rub anything on them because they aren’t closed but once they are I will start doing that. I do need to improve my diet, I’m used to eating so healthy but with the pain pills I always end up reaching for an easy piece of toast. Although it’s been a long road for you I’m glad you’re celebrating the small victories and taking note that you are getting better just some people take longer, you’ll get through it!
  • Posted

Hi Renae,

I read your post and it just touched a lot of what I have been going through. As you said I think it's way too early too massage your wounds. I didn't realise about my diet until I had the bad news about non union. I have always been really healthy but with this I hadn't been eating a lot or going outside. The vitamin D comes from sunshine but is essential in healing. I have been NWB and had 2 bad falls so didn't go out for 3 months. So I began - with my gp- to look into what may help me heal. I take vitamin D supplements at the moment. Apparently my physio said increase my protein (I am vegetarian) that also improves bone and tissue healing. It's so hard when you are on the pain killers as they can suppress your appetite greatly. You are also having sleep issues like me!!! I swear I didn't get more than a 2 hour stretch of sleep for 3 months. I actually now remove the boot at night. Can you do this? Firstly I used to put a pillow either side of my foot so it felt secure? This was also uncomfortable but better than the boot. I also moved the covers off my left leg with boot on some nights and propped it on the duvet with a pillow to stop it rolling off (still wearing the boot) the bed. I found the boot unbearable under the duvet and that I would squash my good foot with it during the night. I am afraid sleep is still something I am lacking. I don't think until I am better I will get this back as I am worrying about them operating again. I can totally relate to how your incisions feel though as mine literally would feel alive and tingling- it's the nerve endings apparently. Even though they looked healed they are still healing inside. It is a long process but please be kind to yourself as I haven't and I think it's affected my healing. So if you feel tired during day have a nap as sleep heals. Please let me know how you get on? Claire 

• Posted

I’m definitely going to get some vitamin D supplements, although I live in Florida the sunshine state I’m not seeing much of the sunshine. Yeah unfortunately I have to wear my boot to sleep and as much as possible because I’m not able to move my ankle yet only wiggle my toes. I definitely need to also figure out how to nap since I’m not getting much sleep at night. Thanks so much for helping me out and letting me know you also went through similar things, makes me feel a lot better and not so panicked 24/7. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.