Post rectocele /cystocele. Light headed and nausea

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I am four weeks post o today. I had an infection for which I was treated and have recovered.

I feel my recovery is pretty slow as I still can’t sit and an only up 20-30 minutes at a time. After about five or ten minutes I feel weak wobbly light headed and have nausea.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

I hope everyone is progressing well. Have a nice weekend x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI Paddiwhack, 

I am 4 weeks post op today I can stand for about 1 hour max then feels so heavy down below I have to stopike the feeling after you first have a baby that heaviness. 

I do not get too nauseous or lightheaded if I have eaten and drank enough. Still get very tired but found out yesterday I have a UTI so just started antibiotics. Also had a vaginal swab that was not pleasant as nurse stuck a spectrum in safe to say I cried and have had to cancel going back to work. Taking a lot longer than I expected to recover xx hugs to you 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Really sorry to read you had an uncomfortable experience with your swan and with infection too. I hope you’re much more comfortable now. It’s very early for you to be considering returning to work? 

I hope you got a certificate to give you the time you need to be fully healed . Please take care not to over do it. None of us want to have to have this surgery again. Have a good weekend 

• Posted

Hi paddiwhack,

Sorry to hear you are still feeling unwell. I'm 4 weeks today too & luckily am feeling quite well.  I still get tired but have no problems sitting or standing as long as it's not for too long. 

I wonder about that internal examination you had so soon after your operation, my consultant said nothing should be put inside for at least 6 weeks.

It's still quite early days & I know lots of ladies report problems at around week 5 which seems to be due to stitches dissolving etc. Your infection wouldn't have helped & may have slowed your recovery a bit. Listen to your body, if you need to rest then do so, I'm sure you'll feel better soon. X 

• Posted

Hi imnotadoctor thank you for your message sorry my reply is late. I am feeling much better this week and can stand for short periods but can’t sit yet comfortably. My sutures are now dissolving and coming away which causes itching and a little light bleeding.

I stood for two hours prepping a couple of Xmas cakes today and ended up with abdominal discomfort and generally uncomfortable . I rested this afternoon but the last three days have been my best yet. You sound like you are doing really well.

My consultant was happy that everything looked like it was in a good firm position and sutures all healing well which was reassuring. 

Have a good weekend 

• Posted

Hi Paddiwhack and lovely ladies also in early stages of recovery........ I am only a bit ahead of you, at 6 weeks and 2 days and it is tough. I had rectocele, cystocele repair and sacrospinous fixation. I also could not and even now  sit and stand/walk for more than an hour without  that familiar dragging, fullness feeling and I need to recline daily late afternoon for about an hour as despite not being back at work or doing full on activities, I get so tired and I sleep at night for longer than ever before. At around week 4 and 5 my husband was struck with a flu type virus and was off work more or less incapacitated for 4 day. he passed it to me and I then ended up with raging temperatures and hacking cough. Not what you want when you are trying to protect internal stitches, but I did spend a lot of time drenched in sweat lying on the bed too so maybe this balanced out the risk from coughing! At 5.5 weeks, I sat in a car for 2 hours, and had dinner with friends, sleepover and 2 hours again as passenger in a car. Very very uncomfortable. Following day I walked for 30 minutes, first time in a while because of flu then tried to get on with stuff around the house. By the evening I felt uncomfortable and had a look below and was horrified to see 2 small bulges just up from the entrance and have been frightened ever since that my prolapses are returning. I rested for the next 3 days and it is not so bad today. I am seeing the consultant next week which will be just past 7 weeks and hope he will reassure me. The only other complication I think I may have had which could have caused a failure of the operation was for the first 5 weeks apart from the first 4 days when nothing happened, I had very little control over my bowels will multiple trips to the bathroom and several accidents so whilst there was no straining with constipation per se, 12+ bowel movements could have unsettled things. Still don’t know if this was another version of the witch that is IBS or related to healing from the op. I think we need some input from ladies who are a few weeks or months further on than us to give us hope! I think tiredness is normal and nausea and fainting may be part of that unless infection, low blood pressure or anaemia are playing a part. Good luck ladies and take it easy, let’s  hope we are all sorted for the New Year xxxx

• Posted

Hi Redhead,

No wonder you are feeling tired! The flu is miserable at the best of times but just after an op must have been so draining for you.

Good luck with your appointment I hope everything is okay.

I get IBS too so I know how complicated the symptoms can be, it's a horrible business.

Wishing you well. X 

• Posted

Hi Redhead sorry my reply is late. I hope you are ok? Have you seen your consultant yet?

I feel much better but I must say 30-45 minutes on my feet is enough and I still can’t sit yet. My sutures have started to come away now with a little bleeding but I assume this would be expected. So sorry you ended up with an awful cough. Let us know how you have got on.

I’m still taking ibuprofen a couple of times a day and find it helps with comfort.

Have a good weekend

• Posted

Hi Paddiwhack, I'm nearly 10 weeks post op for sacrospinous fixation. .. these operations are not an easy recovery, I still don't use the vacuum cleaner, do ironing or heavy laundry, hubby helps to change duvet cover etc. It's a slow process, listen to your body, when I prep veg I sit at the table, in fact I won't stand for long periods.

If you are worried phone your doctor and ask their advice about feeling wobbly and sickly, having an infection may have delayed your healing but I would ask professional advice just to save you worrying.

Hope you feel better soon, hugs to you xxx

• Posted

Thanks Lyndy that’s reassuring. Sorry for delay. I feel much better this week! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.