Post Rezum: Week 3 1/2

Posted , 7 users are following.

So this morning I went to the Uro Doc to have my Foley removed for the third time in less than four weeks and CIC instructions. The two previous attempts to void met minimum success and I had to rush back to be catheterized both times with the Foley. This time they sent me home with a box of self-catheters, some lubricant, and a 1000 cc urinal. I was able to do the self cath trial with a 14 Fr at the office and found it quite simple. I felt a little bit of pressure as it traveled through the prostrate but nothing serious. I got home and started drinking water and Gatorade as directed (about 10oz. per hour). I have been able to pee normally for the past seven hours, measured at about 125 cc per hour. I hope this continues, but I was wondering if 125 cc was enough to empty the bladder. I think not, but I have no discomfort thus far and they told me not to CIC unless absolutely necessary. The nurse also mentioned that every drop of liquid you drink does not get into the bladder immediately as it can settle in different parts of the body. After three months with the Foley my bladder seems confused and has a mind of its own. When the urge to pee starts it doesn't give me time to react in getting to the toilet. Hope this gets better and I think I may be seeing slight improvement already.

This format has offered a wealth of information from real people with similar problems and experiences. Thank all of you for the advice and the benefit of your experience.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think the Foley irritates the bladder, so it make take a week for your bladder to heal, at least it did for me. I also had low volume in week 3 . Things improved in weeks 4 and week 5. By week 6 and beyond things have been pretty normal, up once per night.

Tim

• Posted

That sounds encouraging. I am hoping for improvement and realize it takes time to heal especially for older guys like myself. I don't mind getting up at night if I am able to pee. We shall wait and see.

• Posted

The easiest way to see if you're emptying is to do cic right after peeing. If you're retaining less than 100 cc, all is well. If not, then you're not emptying normally yet.

FYI - I don't know your specifics, but bigger prostates take longer than average to recover from Rezum.

• Posted

Good advice. That would tell the story regarding remaining bladder content. My nurse mentioned not to do the CIC unless I was uncomfortable and couldn't pee, but your suggestion couldn't do any harm in retraining the bladder.

I just got through my first night of trying to sleep and I got up four times to pee. About 150 mm each time. I hope this continues to improve, but it feels good to not have the Foley in after three months.

I return to the doc next week for my first follow up visit after 5 weeks post Rezum. I need to ask questions and should write them down to remember. As of now I have no information as to prostrate size or how the procedure went. During the initial prostrate exam he told me he has seen larger prostrates and that he did not detect anything unusual and it was smooth. I do need specifics,

• Posted

i am about 19 days post Rezum and urine was clear last 7 days and now its pink with clots coming out. i also have bright red semen and did not know if this

is just sloughing from procedure.

• Posted

We all have different journeys along the path to recovery, but there are similarities. Every experience is unique and it's been about 5 years since my Rezume procedure. I do remember a difficult time in having my bladder flushed and I had to wear a Foley catheter for three week post Rezume. Things got much better and I am currently satisfied with the results of the Rezume procedure. I am 77 years old now and discovered the process of aging may have other negative surprises in store for us. I have since been diagnosed with circulation issues in my legs and have had 5 stents placed in my right leg. Medications include blood thinners and a diuretic. The diuretic creates the urge to urinate frequently, and I have no problem doing that without too much bladder retention. In conclusion, my experience shows that it does take time to show improvement in voiding post Rezume. I also discovered that prostrate issues can be minor compared to other health related issues as we age. Good luck to us all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.