Post scabies

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can post scabies last longer than 6 weeks?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Jane

It can last dor months.

• Posted

I suffered for 2 years with embarrassing itchy skin and was finally diagnosed with scabies. We treated the whole family twice one week apart ( I actually did a third on myself). It has now been 9 weeks and still itchy, sometimes it seems like its getting better then the same spts flare up again. It cost around $350 to treat my family so I keep debating on whether to wait it out or treat again
    • Posted

Jane

It is always difficult to know with 100% certainty if one is cured.  

All I can tell you is that both my wife and I had recurring, itchy spots in the same general location on our bodies as our original scabies infection for several months post cure.   It was a challenge to continue to believe we were cured. But we were. We are 9 months post cure and all spots are gone, although some itchiness remains.

I do not know whether it is just continued allergic reaction or a kind of dermatitis/folliculitis from the permethrin.  I do think that repeated treatments could make your skin worse.  

If you really feel you are still infected I suggest seeing a dermatologist to confirm.  If confirmed,  consider giving your skin a break and taking ivermectin.

Good Luck

M.R.

• Posted

just wanted to post an update, I went back to the derm yesterday, its been 6 months since treatment and I was still itchy and getting blisters and bumps. The dermatologist said it doesn't look like I have any new burrows and that it looked like I was riding of scabies. But since I had it for so long before your skin changes so now I have a type of dermatitis. She prescribed me some ointments and told me to use a lotion in the shower instead of soap and to really try to stop scratching! Just wanted to share this and give other people hope, will update when my skin is hopefully better

• Posted

rid of scabies not riding of scabies lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.