Post seems to be worse

Posted , 12 users are following.

anyone in post and it seems things just are worse?? the hot surges?? the anxiety?? the weird head....no sleep?? is there no end????

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi there im ten years post..periods just stopped at 42 no build up...from my experience i think post is worse because your living with no hormones ..for two three years i suffered with insomnia anxiety out of this world..vertigo.dizziness and migraine with no headache just aura..didnt have flushes or sweats thou..settled down for about five years..then came back for a while..my dr was brutally honest he said post is for life dont know why they put timescale on it as its different for everyone and very often misleading..im 53 now..cant take hrt although it was recommended for my bones..put me straight in hospital..side effects horrific..ive become very selfish gave up work to look after myself..best thing i ever did.no stress etc..i will return when im ready but just part time ...

• Posted

Jaynie,

It is so bizarre. It is almost too unreal to describe. It's like a water droplet on a tablet or phone. It is called a scotoma. It starts small and then burns a hole through your vision getting bigger and bigger. Mine then turn into a jagged zig zag of bright neon flashing lights, If you close your eyes, it is still there. Mine can also break up into colorful triangles just floating around my vision like a kaleidoscope. I lose my words, become panicked, and sometimes dizzy, It lasts for up to an hour. For me, there is no warning, You can be perfectly normal and then go half blind. Often, I can't read my phone screen either as everything is blurry. I do not get the migraine after, but many people do. It is terrifying and I never even heard of it until I had one at 43.

• Posted

that sounds very scary almost like a stroke huh??? wow..is it part of menapause???? one thing knock on wood i havent got. was the migraine i do get weird head if that makes sence and all the other horrible things .im just drained from it all ..

• Posted

Yes. I didn't know it at the time, but thats what they thought was happening to me. No one at work had ever heard of one before, so they called the ambulance. Strangely, 9 people at that job also had their first migraine aura since I had mine a little over year ago. Definitely strange! I had to go to the neurologist and have brain scans. He said that he sees, "Lots of women my age for the first time." I have since learned that estrogen is an excitatory hormone and migraine aura is an over excitement of neurons in your brain stem. Of course, I instantly scoured the internet and found MANY peri woman have had them. Also, pregnant and women who have just given birth. So, it definitely has a hormone component, Also, some women get them after starting birth control. They are so scary. I wish it never happened to me because it ruined a portion of my life. Some people handle them much better than me. I instantly panic.

• Posted

hi there im ten years post..periods just stopped at 42 no build up...from my experience i think post is worse because your living with no hormones ..for two three years i suffered with insomnia anxiety out of this world..vertigo.dizziness and migraine with no headache just aura..didnt have flushes or sweats thou..settled down for about five years..then came back for a while..my dr was brutally honest he said post is for life dont know why they put timescale on it as its different for everyone and very often misleading..im 53 now..cant take hrt although it was recommended for my bones..put me straight in hospital..side effects horrific..ive become very selfish gave up work to look after myself..best thing i ever did.no stress etc..i will return when im ready but just part time ...

• Posted

hi Staci - Thanks for responding - oh wow! your "Flash" sounds very similar to mine except for me, it generally starts in my back/chest area & is a bad sunburn like feeling that almost becomes volcano/erupting sensation (it builds) many times with this i can experience pulsating head, heart palpitations & generalized anxiety - my attacks often come on in the early morning hours when cortisol is starting to rise - i can also feel cold afterwards. The "flush" can stay with me for hours or go away in a short time, it just depends - i have tried to figure out what triggers it - food, emotions, too warm of clothes, sugar & there is no rymthm or reason - i can eat really well, no junk & get one & then i can fall off the wagon & eat poorly & not have one -

when i was in peri, i had the night sweats & insomnia & i thought those were "hot flashes" boy, was i wrong - i have been experiencing these current flushes for close to 2years - some months are better than others - i think for me that i was under such extreme stress for so long that when things settled down for me stress wise, my body just crashed & burned & thats why i am experiencing these symptoms so late - i lost my cycle at 55, but didnt start really feeling the symptoms until 60 -

i am so sorry for you Staci, nobody gets the stress of caring and worrying about a loved one & then to have the added stress of finances etc - i think it all takes a toll on our adrenals/hormones & makes for a nightmare of a menopause journey - The woman i know that havent gone thru the stress i have gone thru are not impacted by symptoms like i have, so there must be some correlation to stress, anxiety & hormones - Be kind to yourself - take care -

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.