Post Shingles and Scar Laser Removal? Too Soon? Does it matter?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I had shingles for my first time, starting August 5th, though I had a heck of a time getting rid of it. I was hospitalized due to the severity of the pain. (My trigeminal Nerve behind my right eye) I was released then the antiviral pills ran out, I broke out worse then I had the first time. My eye sight in my right eye had been compromised starting August 19th due to light sensitivity. I am just NOW getting my eyesight to where I can watch TV, and drive with sunglasses on and go outside! ( because I was unable to do anything that contained light. I couldn't go outside, drive, or anything for weeks) Now I am getting back to normal.

Now the scars left behind are VERY deep, and crater-like. Me and my husband have been looking into Laser Scar Reduction, and I have a consultation next week. I am wondering your views on if it's too soon? Will it trigger shingles again? I do not understand too much about shingles. 

I have had Cold Laser therapy to reduce the inflammation and it is a antiviral laser and has helped tremendously. (I Included a picture of that- "ouch" and "getting better"wink 

But I want the scars to be as limited as possible. Included a picture of the scars now. I know they could be much worse, and I am blessed they aren't, but I would like to get back to my normal self. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had recurrent episodes for 14 years.  Misery! Physical and emotional stress triggers mine every time and I am not eager to experience such hell again. If it were me, I would wait on any painful or intrusive measures. You are vulnerable. Try organic Jojoba oil ... I looked up what natural substance is the closest to skin oil and jojoba was the most mentioned. It is very soothing and might help heal your skin. Your scars do not look bad at all. Let me know what you decide
    • Posted

Thank you very much I will let you know ! 14 years? That's awful are you able to get the shingles vaccination I hear there's a new one coming out I'm sure you're aware of

• Posted

I would definitely wait!!!! Stimulation of any kind to the area can cause a recurrence. Plus, your skin is not done healing yet. Let it do its work and then see what you have to deal with. Look into essential oils. There are many that are great for skin repair. I am so sorry for your suffering. Shingles sucks!
  • Posted

April,

You are a beautiful lady, inside and out. First, most physicians today will gladly accept your money and not do what is best for you.

These are my thoughts.

1. The Shingrex vaccination has been approved by the FDA committee unanimously and should be approved by the FDA shortly. This is a much better vaccine for shingles than Zostavax which has only a 37-53% efficacy rate.

The Shingrex vaccine has an efficacy rate of 93-98%.

While I don't know how it will perform on those of us who have had shingles, I would get the vaccine first.

2. Wait for mother nature to do most of the healing for two reasons. One, you might trigger a shingles recurrence with the laser treatment as it is stressing the body. Two, it takes about one year for the inflammation and scar tissue to heal. Let tincture of time do most of the work as time will do it best, slowly. I have had scars on my face and neck that were very obvious at first. The one on my face disappeared and the one on my neck is barely noticeable after one year.

3. Shoe Lady is very wise regarding nutrition and lifestyle and everything else! She told me about the high Lysine low Arginine diet to avoid Herpes Zoster-Shingles. I would Google Herpes Zoster and Lysine /Arginine diet and follow it. It has helped me tremendously to decrease the intensity of pain and frequency of episodes.

4. I also have been "more" mindful of avoiding stress, doing what is healthy for my body and spirit, being more meditative. (Shoe Lady's influence, once again... We have a great group on this site, don't we?)

I am going to send you a private message, as well, re a product I used on my breast for radiation. It is very soothing. The censors will delete the message, otherwise.

Best Wishes to you

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.