Post sling surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

It will be 4 weeks after surgery on Nov. 18th. Last check up I was sent home with external catheters and not to use them more than 3 times a day. I have only used them 2 times and am not using them now. I was told that I was off restrictions, too. So I have been doing what ever I need to do. Yesterday, I raked leaves and pine needles. I also shoveled some gravel into a wheel barrow. It was about half full and it was pretty heavy. I had a long way to take it and I stopped and rested once before finishing. Later that night I was pretty sore and I was taking care of hygiene and seeing if I was still sore. I felt something unusual and it was 2 strings. One on the right and the other on the left just inside the vagina. I felt further and I could feel stitches and I think the strings are attached there. Has anyone had this happen to them? I hope I didn't mess anything up by lifting a heavy load. Sorry to be so graphic, but that is the only way a know how to explain it. The muscles in that area are sore from the work I did, I guess. Thanks, Shari

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ohhhhh I believe there are life long restrictions after such surgery. Have you read the South Tees info? If you go to Genitourinary homepage & scroll down on Useful Resources, you can read what is the accepted advice. YES you will definately still have sutures. They only just start really tightening at the 4-5wk mark. And sorry to say, but fingers just shouldn't be exploring at this early stage. Sorry, but what planet is your Surgeon from? Is he/she a Urogynaecologist? What material was used for your sling? 

I really have to say that going from one extreme of restrictions so suddenly to what you have, has a high likelihood of leading to failure of your repair. I'm not at all surprised that you were sore. I would never ever be shoveling and wheelbarrowing what you did, ever again. A gradual return to everyday stuff like washing out of machine & hanging it, and just everyday housework, but I wouldn't even Hoover till after 6wk mark. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. No, I have been doing things that I probably shouldn't. My doctor probably didn't realize I would be doing all these thinks. There is no one else to do it that I can depend on. My husband did empty the gravel and told me I shouldn't be doing that. LOL I put an email in to my doctor for Monday. I did repeat to him, No restrictions? He say yes, no restrictions. I knew better. I was cleaning the litter box the next day after surgery because my husband wouldn't do it and other things. too. I will try to do better. The holidays are hear and I have a lot to do. I sure do not want to have to have another surgery. So no ideas about the strings? They'll let me know when I talk to them. Happy Holidays! Shari

• Posted

Please resist those jobs you shouldn't be doing. I do know it's very very hard. You obviously have a weak pelvic floor as you prolapsed, leading to the surgery you've had recently. The "strings" are just stitches. Some will be dissolving already. The deeper ones take much longer. You may find pieces of stitch in your underpants and maybe on toilet paper. It's normal. But don't finger around as you may introduce infection. The bugs can travel in deep going along the stitches. 

• Posted

I forgot to answer your question about what kind of sling. It is mesh. I'm doing better but muscles still sore.

• Posted

Thank you for the good advice and explanation about the stitches. I thought that was probably it. I took today off from doing things outside. LOL
    • Posted

You were right, strings are from the stitches. The PA sort of scolded me about my working outside. They won't send me the pelvic floor exercises before Nov. 28th when my physical therapy appt. when she told me she would. They are telling me not to do the exercises until after my appt. Dr. Greer told me to do them before my surgery, so I started a little bit few days after surgery and the nurse told me not too. I was trying to hurry up and get back to the old me. They need to make their mind up when to do the exercises. LOL Take Care.

• Posted

I was told by my surgeon that I will have lifelong restrictions with regards to lifting. He said even little things like popping to a supermarket and using a basket, dont. Just use a small trolley instead. I’m 3 weeks post op and the most I’ve done is load and unload the washing machine. I can walk further now but I need to sit down a lot. 

Listen to your body xx 

• Posted

You are suppose to be able to do normal things like before after 8 weeks. My surgeon said that the stitches will be completely healed 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. I already have some lifting restrictions because I have a Hietel Hernia. I strain or lift something to heavy then I will have reflux and nausea for a few days. Sometimes there is no one around to do the lifting and then I have to do it myself, then I pay. Sorry about the spelling. When I pushed the very heavy load, I could feel something pull. Shouldn't have done that. My husband is not very helpful for most things that need done. I still don't want to end up in surgery again. I took today off from working outside getting ready for winter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.