Post Stapedectomy issues

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all,

I know this discussion has been beat to death but I haven't seen the answers I've been looking for and I've been searching for 3 days.

This is my second stapedectomy, the first was 5 years ago in my right ear and everything went great, I had supersonic hearing and no issues that I can remember. Just 4 days ago I had my left ear done and this time around it has been very different. First of all there was no immediate hearing like last time. I still can't hear anything from the outside on my left ear after 4 days, although I do hear my voice louder and it is louder when I scratch my head as well. The one thing that I haven't seen anyone else say is, when I walk I hear a loud sound on every step as if someone is hitting their hand on a microphone.

My second most problem that I really worry about is for the first day and a half it was total silence, but then I started hearing a high pitch whine along with some ringing that gets louder when I am exposed to sound such as the tv or music playing. This sound has not went away and I fear I will have to live with it the rest of my life. I am hoping that there is so much packing in the ear is why I can't hear outside noises. I get the packing removed in 9 days. I hope someone here has had the same symptoms and they have gotten better over time.

Here's to wishful thinking.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm sorry to beat this to death, but has anyone not been able to hear until the packing was removed. I'm full of anxiety thinking i'm deaf. The funny thing is I can't hear anything from the outside but I can hear if a phone is playing music to the back of my ear where it meets your head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.