Post Stroke Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my stroke 7 years ago followed by several TIA's / Episodes. I was discharged back to my GP after the last episode. There seems little he can do other than change or add things. However, he is very reluctant to give me anything for Depression/Anxiety. ( may cause problems with Warfarin or Phenobarbital) . I've had counselling but that's pretty ineffective. They listen..... but don't give any answers. They're not medically trained, so cannot comment.

Finally I've been referred to a Psychiatrist, I see them next week. I'm really nervous about this, what exactly do they do?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The original message should have been sent from my Profile. My husband did it for me without realising it was on his profile. Sorry for confusing things.

• Posted

I would recommend a psychologist over a psychiatrist. Anxiety and depression are psychological illnesses not psychiatric ones. Psychologists do treatments like cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness. Psychiatrists can often be a little insensitive and not very empathetic.

• Posted

Well, I saw the Psychiatrist and he was everything you said, very insensitive, empathy..... might as well be a foreign concept to him. I explained to him the background of my depression and anxiety ( Evacuation, abusive relationship with my mother, loss of people close to me.... ) He said, well that's all way in the past, get over it! If I could get over it, I wouldn't be Anxious and Depressed! He asked me, What do you expect me to do about it! In brief, I feel let down by the whole process.

• Posted

I am sorry you had to put up with that, I had a very similar experience with a psychiatrist, a lot of them have no social skills. I came out more anxious than when I went in!

My experience with a psychologist was much more helpful. He went through what was making me anxious and why, he gave me coping mechanisms to stop me thinking in that negative way. He also gave me really good relaxation techniques and really helped me with my insomnia. Look for a psychologist that does cognitive behavioral therapy. I think this will be much more helpful. Don't give up from a bad experience, there is good help out there.

• Posted

Thanks Moon, I'm currently waiting for a place in a Group Therapy session, but I'm told it will be a long wait. I think I will get more help talking with people who've experienced same problem. Apparently a Psychologist attends some sessions and will talk to you as well and answer your questions. Have had letter I;m on waiting list.

• Posted

I was visited by a lady from the local MH team who agreed I needed Group Therapy, and that due to my issues, I would be prioritised. That was in March, I'm still waiting. I have since that visit had another issue needing a stay in an Acute Medical Unit. They discharged me without coming to any conclusion. They were going to arrange 24 hour ECG and BP measuring . I have declined, not relishing another visit to Hospital ( I get very anxious and stressed) I had all this done before , they diagnosed heart problems requiring the fitting of a Pacemaker. It turned out to be a Thyroid issue. I was only saved from an unnecessary operation by someone who knew what the problem was. I was discharged with a referral to the Endocrine clinic. Doctors...... I'm extremely wary of their abilities. They spend years training, they know very little when they are let loose on the unsuspecting public.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.