Post sugical care(open surgery:removal of 10 cm paraovarian cyst)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had the open surgery operation last week Aug 26. It's been a week now. Any suggestions or tips for fast recovery? I am a 170 pound woman, age 26.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Drink lots of liquids so you dont get dehydrated like I did wasnt fun. If your not  taking stool softeners take them. Try and walk 25 min a day can be broken up in 10 and 5 min walks. Try not to do to much too soon. Rest and eat healthy. I hope you have a speedy recovery biggrin

• Posted

2nd week you should notice significant improvement. Walking and hydration are key as didi has shared. Also, try and get up and around every hour, during the day when you're awake. Resting too much or staying still for too long makes sleeping at night dufficult.

Tackle only light small things for the next week or 2. If you're like me you'll get a big burst of energy, week 2 or 3 and feel like you can tackle the world, don't. It's short lived so take an extra walk, make a small meal, etc. Otherwise, you'll set yourself back a couple of days.

When they take out staples/stitches wait until wound is completely healed and use vitamin e oil, bio oil. Whatever you choose. Massage on daily. Helps skin heal, minimizes itching and helps soften the rigidness of scares which eventually goes away.

Hope it helps. Here best wishes for a speedy and non-recurrent recovery!

• Posted

Hello BeenthereSr, it's basically my 2nd week now since the surgery and I felt better compared to the first week. Thank you for your tips. By the way ia it normal that my incision is sometimes itchy?

• Posted

Yes it is a sign of healing.  I was lucky, I had what is called referral itching.  I initially thought I was going crazy.  By the 2nd week I started itching but it was both of my ankles.  I was itching so badly thought I had poison ivy or some other malady.  Dr. told me it was my incision so I started putting salve (merdema) on it and the itching immediately stopped! 

Strange, but true.  I had a pubic to belly button incision.  It only lasted a couple of weeks but I kept putting that or Vitamin E oil on it for quite some time and ended up with a scar that I have to look to see.  Just a faint ghost of a line.  Perfectly smooth like the rest of my skin.  Yay.

Hope your itching isn't too bad.  Cocoa Butter or Shea Butter lotions work well too.  Anything to moisten the skin that has better staying power than a regular lotion.

• Posted

I just had my laparotomy this Tuesday and just got back from the hospital yesterday. Now that I'm at home, and on less narcotics than I was there, I can definitely tell the difference in pain level and soreness.

I'm taking it easy, doing as little as possible, but still walking a little to prevent any blood clots and gain my strength. I'm avoiding bending, stooping or lifting anything right now. I'm taking my medication and have a huge bottle of water next to me at all times. I'm anxious to get back to work but I realize that will not be possible until I have my post-op consult on September 26, and I want to make sure I heal properly, not necessarily quickly. I'm also 24 so hopefully being young, we will both recover well!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hello justfromerica, surely. God bless to both of us. I hope our young age will be an advantage on having a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.