Post surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good evening 

I did ankle surgery last week ,now I can't feel my 4th and 5th toe I have severe numbness ;I read that may b nerve damage during surgery ,any one had same problem?!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi malak. Sorry to hear you have had to have surgery.. I'm now 19 weeks in and still remember how my toes were the same for a long while. I found massage helped. I still have odd feelings in my middle toe. I was told it was nerve regeneration. Also had a lot of burning in all toes which can also be nerve damage. May go on for a while yet but all normal. Wishing you a good recovery. Sx

• Posted

I had ankle surgery for peroneal tendon sublexation on 6/26/17. My pinky toe and most of the outside of my foot was numb for weeks after. I am at 8 wks post op now and I have about a 2 in long area about center of the foot that is still numb but my toe is pretty much normal again. It's my understanding numbness is quite common after ankle surgery and can take up to a year for nerves to finish repairing.

• Posted

Good Morning,

I had the same feeling for the 2 weeks after surgery.I know the more I moved my toes the feeling started to come back. I am 5 weeks post-op tomorrow. and really starting to feel my best. I know the numbness is bothersome. I use to have my husband wiggle my toes to get feeling back. It is a process it will take a little time.

​Speedy Recovery,

Danette

• Posted

Hi sorry you've had to find this forum. It means your life just changed drastically. It is not an easy injury but the supportive people who are similar in injury on this forum will help you through the changes. What I have found vital is to understand what's happening and listen to your own body. Any changes to incision site needs dr to check it must protect from infection. I used a lot of hand sanitizer because we take cruches wheelchair frames to toilet or bathroom it is too easy to cross infect   After staples came out I did salt water washes and betadine ointment. I have a lot of nerve damage so could not cover the wound. But have healed well. Any major calf pain get checked. Walk level if you go into a boot google Even Up Shoe. You take care I hope you have family to care for you. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your numbness this is quite common after surgery, I still have numbness 3 years after my operations, but it is reducing gradually. There are tablets to easy this problem I think it's called gabapentin (from memory) let us know how you get on.good luck with your recovery. Wayne

• Posted

I'm almost 7 weeks post op and I still can't feel the lower side of my foot, my pinky toe or 1/4 of the top of my foot. It's normal. Hoo2dully it'll come back though!!!

• Posted

Don't panic it's normal. Each day every hour try moving your toes that helps with circulation. I had the same problem and about the 3rd week the swelling went down and the nerves began to grow.keep foot elevated and rest. Most of all be patient!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.